Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Dataflows: ODBC Error: Please Specify how to connect

I'm attempting to add a ODBC dataflow as described here:

https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/blog/power-bi-dataflows-january-updates/

On Power BI Desktop, I created a new data source using an ODBC connection and a native query. The ODBC connection has been configured on both my machine and the On-Premise Gateway (just updated to latest version) machine. The data loads correctly into Power BI Desktop. I can publish the report and refresh the dataset through the On-Premise Gateway. All that functionality works. 

However, I'm running into problems when I try to add the ODBC query as a new entity in a Dataflow. I copied the Power Query M code from the Advanced Editor in Power BI Desktop and pasted it as a Blank Query in Dataflows. The interface gives a Please specify how to connect message and an Edit Credentials button. I enter my database credentials, but the same message keeps appearing again and again. I can't proceed. 

Example:

1) I have an existing Dataflow Entity with a SQL Server connection. This dataflow saves and refreshes through the gateway correctly. It's working correctly. 

001.png

002.png

2) Next, I want to add an ODBC Native Query connection. I open up Power BI Desktop and copy/paste the Power Query M code into a Dataflows Blank Query. 

003.png

004.png

3) Next, the interface asks me to enter my credentials. I enter the username/password I always use for this DB. 

005.png

006.png

4) However, I can't proceed past this point. Each time I enter in my credentials, I'm returned to this screen:

007.png

Note:

I ran the Power Query M code in Power BI Desktop on both my local machine and in Power BI Desktop on the On-Premise gateway itself. Both successfully load the data into Power BI Desktop. I can upload these reports and schedule them to refresh through the gateway. The ODBC connection is configured correctly. The problems occur when I try to use it within Dataflows. 

Comments
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@jtgriffith ,

I can reproduce this issue on my side, I will consult this issue internally.

Reagrds,
Lydia

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Status changed to: Investigating

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@Anonymous ,

Please change credential type for the ODBC data source to Windows in gateway and in dataflow, then check if it works.

Regards,
Lydia

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unfortunetly I couldn't get that to work. I tried my Windows / O365 username/password and the database username/password.  I didn't specify it in the original description, but the ODBC connection I'm trying to create is to a Sybase IQ database. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Any updates on this? I am facign the same issue with ODBC driver...

Vitaliy
Helper I

In this case you need use credentials, which were used in your system dsn.