Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

DataSource Automatically Switching to DirectQuery

Hello - I am connecting to a SQL Database, and am select Import for Data Connectivity Mode.

After shaping my data in the query editor, the data source is being switched to DirectQuery mode.  This is then causing an error as I am using transformations that are not supported by DirectQuery.  Clicking the "Switch all tables to import mode" option or switching the data source back to Import with the UI in query editor both have no effect on this.

Has anyone encountered this and identified a solution?

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @jmannhardt,

Do you mean when you apply changes to data model the error "This query contains transformations that can't be used for DirectQuery" throws out? 

Please turn off the the Composite Models preview feature, then create a blank query, copy and paste the Power Query from issued report to test if the same issue occurs. 

q5.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

jmannhardt
Frequent Visitor

@v-qiuyu-msft

Thanks for the reply.  This worked for me.

I commented on this related issue yesterday, as was using Power BI Desktop for Report Server, which I believe was accomplishing the same thing.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Issues/Composite-Models-Can-t-append-Tables-with-different-storage/...

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @jmannhardt,

You can refer to the @brianhartman's post in the thread you shared above. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu