Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DataFlows with Group or Merge steps are not working correctly

We have 2 major issues with a dataflow that previously was working successfully to pull data from Project Online. 
Issue 1 - Failed Refresh
Last week a DataFlow stopped refreshing with the following error

refresh error.PNG

After some investigation and testing different combinations we found that one of the Merge steps in the dataflow was the culprit. If we removed the step the dataflow would refresh.

broken query.PNG

refresh history.PNG

Issue 2

When we connect to the dataflow from Power BI any entities that include a Group or Merge steps are not available.

entities list in DataFlow.PNGEntities list in Power BI.PNG

Comments
laura_gb
Advocate I

Changed the datatype of the columns being used for the merge from Date to DateTime and the dataflow will now refresh.

If I change all the date columns in all the entities to datetime they all now come through to Power BI.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @laura_gb

The same issue has been reported internally: CRI 159107800. ETA for fix is end of week.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Accepted

PereBosch
Regular Visitor

I have exactly the same issue with merged entities!.

Best regards,

Pete

laura_gb
Advocate I

@PereBosch  was your merge using some date columns?

If it was change the type of those columns to DateTime and that was the work around to get mine up and running again.

L

PereBosch
Regular Visitor

Sorry Laura, do yo mean I need to change all entities/table columns in each table within a dataflow as DateTime? Or just the columns of the entities/tables I'm not able to see?.

I guess you'll have the same warning I have: when changing some columns to DateTime some of the fields are showing error messages before saving/closing the entity...

PereBosch
Regular Visitor

I tried your recomendation and I'm now able to see the table after changing all columns as DateTime and connect to the 'missing table. Unfortunately when I connect to the Dataflow all columns show error messages and changing DataType to the original one doesn't solve the problem. Do you have the same issue?

Best Regards,

Pete