Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

Data source permissions set to anonymous and when I try to login to organizational account it fails

This started today. I've opened a couple Power BI desktop files that include connections to our SQL server and Excel files on SharePoint. When I try to refresh, the data source settings for SharePoint have flipped to Anonymous and so they fail - it says "access is forbidden." I try to clear permissions or change the data source settings to organizational, it says I'm not signed in (but I am) and when I click on my user id, it says taking you to your organizational sign-in page, and then I'm taken to a plain white screen where it hangs up. I now cannot refresh any files with SharePoint data sets as it says "access is forbidden" because permissions appear flipped to anonymous and I cannot set them to organizational with any success. This is so frustrating.

Interestingly, I published one of the reports to powerbi.com and scheduled a refresh with the enterprise gateway and "refresh now" works!

The only thing I did today that I can think of that may have screwed something up is trying to install a MySQL connector - which was for a different SQL server that I cannot get the refresh working for either, but this is another story. I've uninstalled the MySQL connector, and again, I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not, but thought I'd mention it. 

Here's the screen that comes up after I click on my organizational account ID. It says taking you to your organizational sign-in page and then it just hangs here and does nothing, even if I try to refresh. 

I even upgraded to the March edition of Power BI and still the same problem. Please help! Thanks.

Capture.PNG

Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am also facing this issue when i try to sign in with Microsoft account.

Shelley
Continued Contributor

@Anonymous  after spending hours trying this over and over, with different scenarios, this morning I let my machine sit on the white screen for minutes and it finally connected to my organizational account. I had to do this for each Sharepoint source - I let the white screen sit until it finally connected to my organizational account and set the privacy level to Public (not sure if I need this). I have now successfully refreshed two of my reports on my desktop. The funny thing is that when I published them to powerbi.com the way they were, they refreshed there correctly. It seems to be something with the desktop version subversively setting my connections to anonymous.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi there, 

I still faced the same issue even though I have tried to change the privacy level to Public. Anyone could help on this? 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi all, 

Does the issue happen when you use SharePoint folder connector in Power BI desktop? 

I have test on my side with Power BI desktop version 2.67.5404.581 64-bit (March 2019), when I use Organizational account authentication and select/enter an account, it will spend a little time to pass authentication. 

In your scenario, please go to Data Source Settings -> Global Permissions find the data source and clear it's permission, then try again to connect to SharePoint Excel files, wait for a while after you use Organizational account authentication and select/enter an account. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@v-qiuyu-msft 

Does the issue happen when you use SharePoint folder connector in Power BI desktop? Yes

I have test on my side with Power BI desktop version 2.67.5404.581 64-bit (March 2019), when I use Organizational account authentication and select/enter an account, it will spend a little time to pass authentication. 

In your scenario, please go to Data Source Settings -> Global Permissions find the data source and clear it's permission, then try again to connect to SharePoint Excel files, wait for a while after you use Organizational account authentication and select/enter an account. I have tried but It doesn't work 

// Ken 

Shelley
Continued Contributor

@Anonymous  I found I had to let the white screen sit for minutes after I selected my credentials. It is happening to me on files with both the Web connector and the SharePoint folder connector. After I let it sit and cycle thru my organizational credentials, setting privacy to public, I did manage to get it to work. Good luck.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Shelley

Glad to hear the issue is gone on your side. 

@Anonymous Please try to update your Power BI desktop to this new version 2.67.5404.801 then test again. If issue still occurs, I would suggest you create a support ticket to let engineers look into the issue on your side. 

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi all, 

The same issue that there is a blank page display when sign in an organizational account from SharePoint folder connector already reported internally: CRI 111124505. Will keep you update once I get any information. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

The issue seems resolved and am able to connect SharePoint/One drive with microsoft account from Power Bi Desktop.

Regards,

Krishna.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi all, 

The PG team already rolled out the fix. Please test again on your side. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu