Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Data source error - We cannot convert the value "[Table]" to type Table.. IDataReader

Data source errorWe cannot convert the value "[Table]" to type Table.. The exception was raised by the IDataReader interface. Table: Sales Funnel.
Cluster URIWABI-UK-SOUTH-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID1f9e2390-1165-e993-7dd5-ae57138b041d
Request ID859bf9ad-cba4-f491-dd55-cea4e0b39594
Time2018-01-29 07:50:29Z

Data sources are SharePoint and OneDrive (Excel files). Connection is therefore direct to source, not via data gateway.

Query refresh works fine in PBI Desktop.

Please help.

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @mmuddasar,

Did this dataset can be refreshed successfully before in Power BI service? 

Did you modify the report recently? 

Please download the report and open in desktop, check if any error occurs in Table: Sales Funnel. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

mmuddasar
Advocate I

Hi Qiuyun

Thank you for considering this issue.

The file originally had SharePoint and local folder as sources and refreshed fine in PBI Service using data gateway.

To remove need for local gateway, I moved the Excel file from local folder to OneDrive. PBI Service could then connect directly with sources. However, this is when Service began returning this error upon dataset refresh attempts.

I downloaded the original file and refresh worked fine in PBI Desktop. No issues with table Sales Funnel.

It may be a data privacy issue as noted by jdunmall here:

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Service/Data-Privacy-Broken-We-cannot-convert-the-value-quot-Record-...

Suspecting this, I moved the Excel file in OneDrive to the same SharePoint site, thinking there should be no privacy issue since now all source files are in same source, and yes refresh worked in PBI Service. This increases my belief that it is a data privacy issue in the Service.

Thanks

Mohammed

Magomed
Helper I

Hello together, 

for me it worked, as soon as I changed Privacy Level to Organisation for all my sources. This error takes place when you are trying to join data sources that have different Security Levels. 

Changing all to Organisation solved the issue. 

I hope it will help someone. 

Thanks

Magomed.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Same for me - changing the Privacy levels on all data sources to Organisational fixed this.   This page was a lifesaver.

( I like how the error message played no part in understanding or fixing the issue ... it might as well have said - " error : purple , monkey, dishwasher" )