Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Data refresh issue- VSTS REST API connected and got refreshed in PBI Desktop but not on PBI Service

Hi, I am working with VSTS REST API and pulling data from VSTS as web data source (using header basic authintication) in PBI desktop. It is workimg very nice and I am ble to refresh data. 

But this is published in PBI service, data source is not getting refreshed and it is thrwoing error as "Unable to refresh the model (id=7050645) because it references an unsupported data source "

FYI- 32 bit PBI desktop

Code to pull data from VSTS rest API (URL)

result = Json.Document(Web.Contents(url,
[Headers=[Authorization="Basic xxxxxxx]]))

In PBI service, I can not see any setting under this data set in PBi service while pressing scheduled refresh bottom.  See snap below- 

vsts.JPG

Please help. 

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @sasmpu00,

Based on my test in Power BI desktop Version: 2.46.4732.581 32-bit (May 2017), use the Power Query below to get data from the VSTS, after publish the report to Power BI service, we can set the credential to use Anonymous to enable schedule refresh.

p1.PNGq4.PNG

In your scenario, please use the same desktop version as ours. Check if only one data source which call VSTS in this report.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

sasmpu00
Frequent Visitor

Yes, the simmilar approach I have implemented. I faced the iisue because of calling URL through a custom Function. I resolved the issue by splitting URL into two parts- 1. Parent URL 2. relative path. By doing this, power Bi was able to understand my data source. 

sasmpu00
Frequent Visitor

I have one more question regarding this. If you have implemented it please let me know. 

I can schedule the data set maximum 8 times per day. But, I am looking for rela time report. Is it possible to set up VSTS REST API as Data source as real time streaming one?