Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

Data refresh gets stuck on Evaluating the first time

I have an issue on some of my reports where if I refresh the data in desktop some of the queries get stuck on Evaluating for a really long time (like 30 mins). If I click cancel and then refresh again it will very quickly go onto the next step.

I think I've narrowed it down to SharePoint connections.

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Veles,

1. Do you use SharePoint Fidler or SharePoint list data source? 

2. Please turn off below option:

q6.PNG

3. Please update Power BI desktop to the latest version 2.65.5313.621. Also please run 64 bit version if possible. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Veles
Advocate V

Hi,

This is using the SharePoint Folder connector.

I've already got the Allow data preview in the background turned off.

Currently running 2.64.5285.582 (64-bit). It's a bit of a pain to get IT to install the latest version, will it make much of a difference?

Veles
Advocate V

Have now updated to the latest version and I'm still getting some refresh issues. Could it be linked to the tenant? I'm having particularly poor performance with our SharePoint today.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Veles,

It might be. Please connect to a small folder to check if the same issue happen. 

Also you can follow this article to optimize you data model, then refresh it again to see if the issue is mitigated. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Veles
Advocate V

I've figured out the issue is with the total number of files on the site. We have Around 160,000 files on there and as the first step on any query to SharePoint is to download the SharePoint List of files it has to do this first. Just running a query to get this data took about 15 minutes (no transformations at all), even though a dataset of 160,000 rows is actually pretty small.

The real issue seems to be around the performance when downloading a SharePoint List - I've noticed similar performance issues when querying other SharePoint Lists despite the fact that the Export to Excel option on a SharePoint List is incredibly fast to refresh.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Veles,

If there are tables get SharePoint list data, please use SharePoint list/ SharePoint online list connector to see if the performance is better. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

jairoaol
Impactful Individual

aparte de los temas definidos en esta publicación les suguiero revisar estas dos publicaciones:

Long time "Evaluating..." for no apparent reason d... - Microsoft Power BI Community

How To Clear Cache Of Power BI Desktop (c-sharpcorner.com)

Power_BI_Help
Helper I

Did you implement a solution where you bring your data local to remove the SharePoint download/connection? Is this significantly faster?