Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Data colors reverting to default after changing report settings

Hello,

I am running into an issue where the data colors I have set are reverting back to default after I update the Settings for that particular report. This is only happening on the bar/column charts in my report. I have the colors set in the desktop version and when I publish it, everything looks fine. After publishing, I have to change the Export Data setting to Summarized Data only (which is another issue - I have to change this setting EVERY TIME I publish my report when it should just retain the change I'm making), which causes the data colors on my column and bar chart visuals to revert to the default teal color. 

I am using Power BI version 13.0.7149.169 in Google Chrome. 

What can I do to ensure the custom colors I have selected do not change if I update any report settings? Also, when I change a setting for one of the reports in my workspace, KEEP THAT SETTING! Don't make me change it again every time I publish an updated report to the workspace. This has huge security implications for my company as this report uses Power BI Embedded so that external partners can access the data. We have sensitive data in our model that is not displayed in the report that they would potentially be able to see if someone forgets to switch the Export Data option to Summarized Only after publishing it. 

Comments
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@Anonymous,

This is a known issue. The fix will be available in the service around 11/14-11/16.

Regards,
Lydia

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Status changed to: Accepted

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@Anonymous,

The issue is fixed, please test it again on your side.

Regards,
Lydia

vsmurli
Advocate IV

Hello,

I am still experiencing this same issue.  Anyone on this thread figure out how to make the Power BI Report robust to prevent this behavior?

If I manually/explicitly set colors like this:

Bananas=Yellow

Oranges=Orange

Strawberries=Red

It is annoying indeed to come in the next morning and see

Bananas=Red

Oranges=Yellow

Strawberries=Blue

From another thread on the same subject, it seems that Power BI is "rendering" Oranges first and therefore being assigned "the first" color (Yellow).  That seems like poor design that needs to be fixed.

That's just crazy.  Is there a workflow to get the original colors to "stick" and not change?  I'm on the hunt for a solution!