Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Data View Bug in PowerBi Desktop: Rows out of sync after sorting and filtering

I have a large table with many columns.  I created a new calculated column in the table which matches another column name of the same table as NewColumn=Current_table[Reference_Column).   The NewColumn values match the values of the Reference column as expected when unsorted/filtered.   However, after sorting and filtering the columns in data view, the new column value no longer matches the reference column in the same row.

snip_20180813172316.png

snip_20180813172225.png

snip_20180813173007.png

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @ryan996,

Which Power BI desktop version do you run? I have tested with Power BI desktop version 2.61.5192.601 64-bit (August 2018) but not able to reproduce the issue. Please try to update your Power BI desktop to this latest version then test again. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

ryan996

Hi Qiuyun,

I was using last month's PowerBI version, I just updated to this month's version and the issue is still there.  The issue occurs when sorting another column by Date value.  As I mentioned, the table has around 30-40 columns.  It appears that the columns within the view of the sorted column are adjusted but all the earlier columns remain on the unsorted view. 

I am able to replicate the issue both ways when sorting on a date column close to the reference column, the reference column is sorted but not the calculated column and vice versa.  Let me know if you need the dataset to replicate.

ryan996

I replicated the same table in Powerpivot in Excel and the sort/filter function behaves as expected.  The issue seems to be in PowerBI. 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @ryan996,

Would you please share the issued pbix file with us? You can upload it to your OneDrive and share the link here. Please do remove sensitive data in the report before sharing it. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

ryan996

Hi Qiuyun,

Here is the link to an example file that shows the same issue:  

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AkifTkuOs8rBgcBJaAnW-HWlgYwbIQ

I created a table with columns numbered 1-60 and rows numbered 1-20,000 in each column.  Once you sort any of the columns, you can see that the numbers go out of sync when you scroll through the columns.