Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Data Source changes when report is downloaded

When a user downloads a report that uses a Power BI Dataset source, I'm finding that if they make changes to the report and re-publish it, then rather than being associated to the original dataset, it's creating a new dataset.

Checking this, I'm finding that my donwloaded report doesn't seem to reference my PowerBI dataset as the data source, but rather looks directly at the dataset's source.

Is this the intended behaviour? It's causing havoc as a user has downloaded a report, but when uplaoding it with changes, it's spawning new datasets 

Comments
v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@Anonymous ,

I am unable to reproduce this issue on my side. Does the user publish the report to same workspace as yours? Does the user change the PBIX file name?

Regards,
Lydia

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee
Status changed to: Needs Info

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi - yes they're publishing to the same workspace, no they're not renaming the file

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@Anonymous ,

I am unable to reproduce this issue on my side. Do the users download PBIX file from Power BI Service and directly change report in the downloaded PBIX file? Could you please describe more details about "downloads a report that uses a Power BI Dataset source"?

Regards,
Lydia

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Lydia,

Yes, exactly that. File is downloaded from PBI Service, changed locally and then republished. When it's republished, it creates a new dataset instead of pointing at the existing dataset. The changes being made are purely cosmetic (they're applying a theme to the report)

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@Anonymous ,

I am unable to reproduce this issue on my side, do you get this issue for all Power BI report?

Regards,
Lydia

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Lydia,

I've done some further testing.

If a user creates a report using PBI desktop, and publishes to web, then it's all fine and downloading and republishing the report works as expected.

However, if the report gets created in the PBI service, then when it's downloaded and republished, it seems to be this use case that creates a new dataset (and in fact a new version of the report too)

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@Anonymous ,

@Anonymous wrote:

Checking this, I'm finding that my donwloaded report doesn't seem to reference my PowerBI dataset as the data source, but rather looks directly at the dataset's source.

Do you directly connect to the data source in Power BI Service and create report in Power  BI Service? If so, how do you download the PBIX file from this report?

Regards,
Lydia