Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Data Refresh in Power bi Service

I am trying to refresh the data every 15 mins automatically in the power bi service,but the data is not refreshing. I am using azure sql db as source and  Direct query mode. can someone help me out?

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @charan9431,

Do you mean the report data doesn't update? 

Report page will not be refreshed automatically. As you are connect to Azure SQL in DirectQuery mode, you can interact with visualizations or click Refresh button in report page, then report data will be updated. See: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/refresh-data#databases-in-the-cloud 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @charan9431  and @v-qiuyu-msft ,

did you manage to solve the problem, I have the same issue - everything works fine if it is in Power BI desctop, after refreshing it there and publishing the dataset is up to date. If i schedule my dataset to refresh every 15 minutes, it shows that it is refreshing, but actually the data is not refreshed. The dataset uses only Azure databases, so everything should be OK. After the dataset is refreshed, the report should be refreshed after clicking the stated by you button. But as the first step is not working properly, the second cannot be accomplished. Could you please help?

Regards

N.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

Would you please clarify the "But as the first step is not working properly, the second cannot be accomplished. "? Do you mean the cache refresh is not finished successfully? 

Please go to report page in Power BI service, click on REfresh button or interact with visuals (eg: sort columns in a table visual) check if any data updated. 

Also you can download the report and open it in Power BI desktop check if the report data is updated. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft ,

i think the data in the dataset is not refreshing although it shows in the history that the refresh was successful.

what i do is:

1. publish the report that has direct queries pointing to an Azure DB

2. make an update on the Azure DB - tha one that the report is using

3. i refresh the dataset in Power BI service - so i believe the dataset should now contain the modified value - the status of the scheduled refresh is succsessful

4. the report after refreshing should show modified data, but does not - using visuals doesn't change anything

5. no after downloading the report the data is not refreshed

i also added a timestamp marking the last update of the table and still shows the previous data - the one refreshed from the power BI desktop

regards

N.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous , 

I tested again on my side but not able to reproduce the issue. If the issue still occurs on your side, I would suggest you open a support ticket to let engineers look into the issue on your side. 

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft 

thank you once again for your help - i redone the report from the scratch...

i found where the problem was - transformations done on tables from Direct Query were changing it to the import mode.

So the workaround was to hard code all changes in the sql added to the DirectQ and skip using Power BI transformations.

however thank you once again

regards

N.