Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Data Colors Change in Service vs Desktop (different color priorities)

This is becoming a very big pain point for me.... It is crucial that my colors stay consistent throughout my report, However, the colors will change in the service!!

Below image shows what I have set in Desktop.

2018_03_13_10_03_57_LTE_Base_Power_BI_Desktop.png

Below shows what is in the Service. Even when I try to re-publish my desktop report. The colors won't match. I have to completely delete the report from my service, then publish. And even then it only lasts a day before the colors are changed.

Untitled.png 

You will notice, it is all the same colors in both charts.... However, they are just taking different priorities.... In Desktop, I have the magenta line as top priority, but in the Service, it doesn't follow that.

Please, please, please fix this. There are so many threads about this, that have supposedly been resolved, but the issue is not resolved.

Comments
Coffee
Advocate I

This is becoming a very big pain point for me.... It is crucial that my colors stay consistent throughout my report, However, the colors will change in the service!!

Below image shows what I have set in Desktop.

2018_03_13_10_03_57_LTE_Base_Power_BI_Desktop.png

Below shows what is in the Service. Even when I try to re-publish my desktop report. The colors won't match. I have to completely delete the report from my service, then publish. And even then it only lasts a day before the colors are changed.

Untitled.png 

You will notice, it is all the same colors in both charts.... However, they are just taking different priorities.... In Desktop, I have the magenta line as top priority, but in the Service, it doesn't follow that.

Please, please, please fix this. There are so many threads about this, that have supposedly been resolved, but the issue is not resolved.

v-jiascu-msft
Employee

Hi @Coffee,

The two snapshots of your post seems showing two different visuals as we can see from the y-axis. What's more, this feature could be by design. Please refer to Desktop/Changing-colours-of-legends

Best Regards,

Dale 

Coffee
Advocate I

It definitely shouldn't be by design.

I have a color theme that should set a color priority in the same way on desktop as it does in the service.
Has nothing to do with that link.

ShelleyGirl
Regular Visitor

I agree this is a significant issue I'm also having. And if you try to adjust the colours in desktop to 'fix' it to what I want, I end up with some lines on my graph taking the same colour - and it then becomes trial and error and constant republishing to try and fix it.  Clearly a bug and can't be by design. 

gilmanta
Regular Visitor

When an issue is left hanging like this for over a month, what is the status? 

Is it resolved? Shouldn't there be a closing statement that the issue is resolved if that is the case. 

If the issue is still outstanding, is there an estimate of when it will be resolved? 

So many questions on a still open issue like this.

v-jiascu-msft
Employee

Hi,

As I posted before, the OP's two snapshots seem two different visuals. I can't reproduce the same result. I also can't find any related issue internally. Could someone provide more details please?

Best Regards,

Dale

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

ShelleyGirl
Regular Visitor

When setting up a report in PowerBI Desktop, colours are set on graphs for bars or lines. They could default to the PowerBI colour scheme - or imported colour theme (and then defaulting to the order that PowerBI allocates) - or could be sepcifically selected (eg. with multiple graphs on same page - it is common best practice to use consistency and have the same colour represent the same thing on each graph - eg. the same region on separate graphs be the same colour - or the same productline on separate graphs be the same colour).  The problem is that what colours that are set up and what we can see in PowerBI desktop - isn't always what is seen when the report is published. It's quite random. Sometimes it stays consistent - sometimes it doesn't. It might be that the order of the colours in the desktop are -red, blue, green, yellow - and then when it's published it is yellow, green, blue, red. So any work trying to follow best practice and consistency - can be wasted.  The expectation is that whatever we see in PowerBI desktop - should carry through to when it is published.  

thehose2000
Frequent Visitor

I also have this issue and it's a real pain. And data colors are very important to me and our company. We are world wide and we need to have the same colors as our other locations across the world. We never had this issue with Tableau and we are trying to roll-out Power BI to the end-users. I don't want this project to fail, but this is a no-win scenario.

Please find a fix for this and quick or it's back to Tableau we go...

Regards,

fish3101
Advocate I

This is definately a bug that I have experienced for over a year or more and I have not been able to find a permanent fix. Definately not a 'working as designed' issue. The problem seems to rear it's ugly head when you apply custom colours to a chart, rather than letting it default select. What's more, after it's been published to service, if I hit F5 to refresh the page, the colours keep cycling around randomly. There seems to be a workaround where you can manually type in the HEX value of the colour (or delete the last character of the HEX and re-type again, essentially tricking it to think something has changed), then on re-publish the colours seem to stick. This is a pain and defeats the purpose of having a custom theme file imported. Please find a fix for this as it's extremely painful and time consuming to fix manually on every visualisation.