Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Data Colors Change in Service vs Desktop (different color priorities)

This is becoming a very big pain point for me.... It is crucial that my colors stay consistent throughout my report, However, the colors will change in the service!!

Below image shows what I have set in Desktop.

2018_03_13_10_03_57_LTE_Base_Power_BI_Desktop.png

Below shows what is in the Service. Even when I try to re-publish my desktop report. The colors won't match. I have to completely delete the report from my service, then publish. And even then it only lasts a day before the colors are changed.

Untitled.png 

You will notice, it is all the same colors in both charts.... However, they are just taking different priorities.... In Desktop, I have the magenta line as top priority, but in the Service, it doesn't follow that.

Please, please, please fix this. There are so many threads about this, that have supposedly been resolved, but the issue is not resolved.

Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have had the same issue.

My solution was to change the colors in the report.  I found that the bug is dependant on the color itself.  For example, I changed Power BI's default red to a different red from the color pallet and then it worked.  Stupid but it is what it is.  

@Coffee @fish3101 @thehose2000 @ShelleyGirl @Vicky_Song 

arneh
Frequent Visitor

I experienced the same. I've set the colors of  databars (donut chart) to custom Hex colors. They remain ok when I keep the file locally (desktop version). But once I deploy the report to the Power Bi service the colors will sometimes change to another color. 

It's annoying. Any fix yet? 

Kind regards, 

Arne

vsmurli
Advocate IV

Hello,

I have been stymied by the same issue.  Anyone on this thread figure out how to make the Power BI Report robust to prevent this behavior?

If I manually/explicitly set colors like this:

Bananas=Yellow

Oranges=Orange

Strawberries=Red

It is annoying indeed to come in the next morning and see

Bananas=Red

Oranges=Yellow

Strawberries=Blue

That's just crazy.  Is there a workflow to get the original colors to "stick" and not change?  I'm on the hunt for a solution!

klatessa

This is an ongoing problem that needs to get fixed or someone needs to tell us a solution. I have line graphs that are fine one day, then the next day the colors all change (and some lines even get the same color).  

fish3101
Advocate I

Still an intermittent issue for me and the only way I can see to fix it is to create a new attribute in the data model that explicitly sets a HEX value for a specific data value and apply conditional formatting using that new attribute. This of course won't help if there are ever changing new data values dynamically coming into the dataset but if your data values are set (ie. there are only ever x number of values) then this will work.

Karen_Payne
Frequent Visitor

Any update on this?

We’re also running into color discrepancies between Desktop and Service.  Colors are very important for our global brand recognition and this is causing a bit of confusion with our teams.

Akshab
Employee

I'm facing the same problem with line graph changing color to default on publishing.

Tried selecting color from custom color pallet. That seemed to appear in service when published. But once data refreshes, the color changes back to default.

Any solution for this?

vlee
Frequent Visitor

I have the same issue with line chart with three lines. When setting each line colors in Desktop with color palette, everything is OK in Desktop. Once I publish, Service replaces my custom picked colors with the theme's first 3 theme colors.

When I publish the report and open it for the first time after publishing I can briefly see my chosen colors, but then the Service overwrites them.

Please, need this issue to be resolved.

Anonymous
Not applicable
We are facing the same issue. Is anyone from Power BI team here to give us feedback on this? Thank you.
vlee
Frequent Visitor

Hi! For now I got it working by deleting the graphs (I have 3 line charts on one page) and re-building them. The difference is that when previously I built the first graph and copy-pasted the other two and changed values, then this time I built each one from scratch. At the moment everything is correct in the Service.