Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Dashboard Tile Custom URL is not navigating to Power BI Report Pages, but to the dashboard level

When using dashboard tiles, one can set a custom link to have the tile navigate to any URL. Currently in the Service, if the Custom URL is set, and the "Open Custom Link in Same Tab" is checked to "Yes", then the following behavior is experianced.

Test case: Custom URL used to navigate to a different report page rather than the one the tile was pinned from. "Open Custom link In Same tab is checked to "Yes". The tile is clicked and the user does not go anywhere.

I tested further, and if I add a report URL from a different Power BI report, the behavior of the tile is such that on click, it takes me to the other report dashboard where visuals were pinned from the report.

It would appear, that the Custom URL link is not allowing me to access the report URL when I have set it to open in the same tab, but rather rolls me up to the Dashboard.

If the "Open Custom Link in Same Tab" is checked to "No" - the tile works as expected.

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Seth_C_Bauer

I just try the same scenario in Edge, IE11 and Chrome but cannot repro the same issue. Please take a look at following gif to see if there is anything I missed here.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

relam

Herbert, you are missing the multiple tabs on the report piece.  You need to create multiple tabs on the report piece, that is why you are not seeing the issue and plus instead of going to the page 1 you need to go to page 2 or 3.

Ron

Seth_C_Bauer
MVP

@v-haibl-msft It appears that the quick test did involve multiple tabs as relam suggests. With multiple tabs the issue presents itself consistently. Single tab reports do not exhibit the same behavior.

So test cases: Create multi-tab report, pin visual from report page 1, redirect the tile to report page 2 -> open in same tab and it fails.

Second test would be to reference a different report from a different dashboard (multi tab) and the tile opens the other dashboard, not the report page.

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Seth_C_Bauer

I can repro the same issue now. I’ve reported it internally to Power BI Team: CRI 31793319

I’ll post here once I get any update about it.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@Seth_C_Bauer

The fix will be deployed this Thursday. Please check it later.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Seth_C_Bauer
MVP

@v-haibl-msft That's fantastic. Thanks Herbert!

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Delivered

Frequent Visitor

Hi! 

I am facing this issue now. Any ideas about how to redirect correctly to a multiple page report from a dashboard tile using external links? I'm always redirected to the default report page. 

Thanks in advance.