Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dashboard List API Endpoint After Renaming

Our staging environment has 3 dashboards on it. After completing the 3 we decided to rename them to be more fitting. After doing so, our powershell deployment script that communicates with the REST API was blowing up. Upon some investigation we discovered that renaming dashboards does not remove them from being returned from the "https://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/groups/{groupId}/dashboards" endpoint. This was returning 4 dashboards, despite our staging environment only having 3. Our script was blowing up because we had renamed some dashboards to new names, and then renamed other dashboards to names that were previously in use, but this endpoint was only finding the dashboards that first used the name, but with invalid reportId's (they did not exist in any of our workspaces).

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

My mystery dashboard seems to have just appeared in my list out of the blue, so I was able to delete it. Everything seems to be as expected now, thanks!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

HI dwales,

I have requirement to pubish reports in a workspace through CI/CD and rename reports. Could you please share me powershell code to rename report/Dashboards. I am new to powershell

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

As the issue is now, I will close this thread. If the issue happens again next time, please create a new thread. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

My mystery dashboard seems to have just appeared in my list out of the blue, so I was able to delete it. Everything seems to be as expected now, thanks!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft,

I've done some further investigating. It appears that this endpoint returns dashboards that are in use in an app as well as visible on the workspace. This was a portion of our issue, as I would rename and it would appear to me that it was still there, but I was at the time unaware that it was marked as readonly and therefore was the version published in the app. Until I published the new dashboard it would of course not update the name for the readonly version.

I am still in a position where we have 3 dashboards in our workspace and the endpoint returns 7 dashboards, so there is still one that is unaccounted for. It is marked as not read only, so I would have expected it to show up in the service UI for me to delete, but it does not. I have not been able to duplicate this behavior, so I am uncertain how to proceed. Our script is using PowerShell to make REST calls to the Power BI REST API, but I am using Postman for debugging purposes, which is showing me the 7 dashboards from the endpoint.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Would you please share detail steps for us to reproduce the issue? Do you use Powershell to call the Power BI rest API? If it is, please share detail script. 

I have tested with https://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/groups/%7BgroupId%7D/dashboards in Postman before and after renaming dashboards, but not reproduce the issue, dashboard only returned with updated name. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Community Support Team _ Qiuyun Yu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
April AMA free

Microsoft Fabric AMA Livestream

Join us Tuesday, April 09, 9:00 – 10:00 AM PST for a live, expert-led Q&A session on all things Microsoft Fabric!

March Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - March 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.

Top Solution Authors