Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

DAX Intellisense, October 2021 Update .

Hi All,
It does appear that the make over of the DAX editor is very unproductive when authoring code as the user now experiences giant pop ups appearing and obscuring large , if not all, of the preceding code in the editor window. It's very distracting for the user and increases the complexity of both writing and learning DAX which I am sure all will agree, is at the very heart of Power BI. I have many screenshots and can point you by way of example to many other users who share my opinions. Are there are any plans to change or modify this feature in a future release, as it has created a very poor impression of the product for new adopters trying to learn and execute the language of Power BI and a diminished user experience for long time users like myself.

We like the coloured font and could probably get used to the strange icons but we have to be able to see the code to enjoy and interact with the product. 

Please, let's have a rethink.

Comments
TheoC
Super User

@CraigsterT, could not agree more!

kavitabehera
Advocate II

So true

CraigsterT
Advocate I

CraigsterT_0-1634584595162.png

"Look MS , no code...

TaylorClark
Power BI Team

@CraigsterT thanks for the example screenshot. We made some changes to the intellisense UI in preparation for some upcoming features. We'll definitely look into this bug about the intellisense UI overlapping the formula cotents. You mentioned having many examples of unwanted behavior changes, could you share those as well? 

v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

v-chuncz-msft
Community Support

@CraigsterT 

You may try earlier versions from Power BI updates archive and share feedback via Ideas to help improve Power BI.

CraigsterT
Advocate I

@TaylorClark  Numerous examples - here's a screnshot of what occurs when the "code helper" pop up attempts to follow you across the editor screen - it is also accompanied by the intellisense but I could,t manage to get that in the scren shot as it ranaway to hide it's shame 
it's a huge distraction and a crazy user experience. 

CraigsterT_0-1634714796021.png

CraigsterT
Advocate I

@TaylorClark better screenshot of the the user experience where it almost overlaps tje visualisation pane.

CraigsterT_0-1634715174886.png

DemoFour
Responsive Resident

Here is what I get when when I am writing DAX, at first i thought thats neat, but it now takes a long time to get what you need from the dropdown as the list of items is so long. 

Intelisense.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey @TaylorClark  the new intellisense is terrible, please take it back to what it was before. I can't even find a column by typing it's name, i have to fully type the table and column name in order to make it work.