Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DATEVALUE returns incorrect date and cannot be avoided on Australian computers

It would appear that Power BI Desktop defaults to a culture of en-US for Australian (and maybe other) users.

There appears to be no way to fix this and it will lead to unintended consequences

DATEVALUE issue.png

Comments
v-robertq-msft
Community Support

Hi, @wynhopkins 

Unfortunately, I can’t reproduce the same issue as yours after my test in the may version of the Power BI desktop:

v-robertq-msft_0-1622515817872.png

v-robertq-msft_1-1622515817877.png

v-robertq-msft_2-1622515817880.png

Therefore, I suggest you to update to the latest version of the Power BI desktop and check if this problem can disappear.

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Robert Qin

wynhopkins
MVP

Hi @v-robertq-msft 

Yep same issue in latest release.  I've asked a number of other people in Australia to test this out and it's a similar issue for them

Using DAX Studio I see that my Culture is en-US.  This is where the problem lies I believe.

wynhopkins_0-1622523150803.png

wynhopkins
MVP

Hello @v-robertq-msft 

Any further updates on this please?

NickA01
Resolver III

Not sure if it help (and probably won't if you are doing datetime intelligence ) but have you tried DAX Format
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/format-function-dax
Alternativly, if you hve a SQL source, you can force the format in the query. 

wynhopkins
MVP

Thanks @NickA01,  

In this scenario I'm not looking for a workaround thanks.

I'm hoping this bug will be registered as one and a fix put through so that no-one else in Australia (and maybe elsewhere around the world) gets caught out and confused the way I did with this.

Cheers

Wyn

wynhopkins
MVP

I've had it confirmed by Microsoft Support that this is an issue related to registry settings and cannot be fixed without a registry change.

Therefore, warning to folks to be careful using DATEVALUE,   test it out to make sure it's working as expected in your version of Power BI desktop