Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Custom visuals can not be updated if they are pinned to a dashboard

1. Create a new visual that just displays the version number. So at the start our visual just displayed 1.0.0.
2. Create a report, import the visual and add it to the report.
3. Pin this visual to a dashboard. It seems that this is the step that causes the problems with updating. As long as the custom visual is pinned to any dashboards it cannot be updated.
4. Create a new version of the visual displaying 1.0.1.
5. Import the visual to the report and save it.
6. Refresh and you will see the old 1.0.0 visual.

It seems that the pinned visual somehow prevents the updating.

You can now go to dashboards and delete the dashboard that has the visual and the visual on the report will now update and correctly show 1.0.1.

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

What do you mean of step 1? Do you develop a visual by yourself? 

Please check if the issue related to your this specific custom visual. You can try custom visuals published here to test again: https://appsource.microsoft.com/en-us/marketplace/apps?product=power-bi-visuals

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes I developed the visual:

1. I used pbiviz new command to create a new visual.

2. The only thing I changed is that the visual displays the version string, instead of the update counter that is there by default.

Where in the marketplace can I find a visual that has two versions published? Otherwise I'm not sure how I can this.

Maybe you can also try to create a new custom visual from your end and try to reproduce this?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Vicky_Song @v-qiuyu-msft I see that the status of this hasn't changed, do you need any additional info?

AndrejLapajne
Advocate I

@Vicky_Song @v-qiuyu-msft

Hi, is there any news regarding this issue?

It's been almost 3 months since we posted this. This problem is completely blocking end users from using the Dashboard functionality in Power BI service.

We would be extremely grateful if you can provide any kind of assistance or at least an indication when this issue will be resolved.

Thank you!