Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Cumulative chart showing blanks (gaps in data)

Hi,

I am trying to create a Cumulative chart in Power BI, but the line breaks instead of continuing when there is no data. I have created a measure to count the number of dates I need:

No. Of Meetings = 
CALCULATE (
    COUNT ( account[Met Management Date] ), DATESYTD ( 'DateDimension'[Date] ),  ALL ( 'DateDimension' ) )

This works:

eg tab.JPG

However the Chart looks like this:

eg.JPG

I don't necessarily need to use the YTD function as I'm more than happy to simply use a page filter to keep the date at 2017, I just need to fix this! I have read lots of articles on this too! The meeting column in linked directly to the primary key column (date) in the date table. Nothing seems to work, so what am I missing?!!!!

Can anybody help?!

Thanks!

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@harleyD

Could you please post some sample data of your tables? I tested on my side but cannot repro the same issue with your measure.

Cumulative chart showing blanks (gaps in data)_1.jpgCumulative chart showing blanks (gaps in data)_2.jpg

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

harleyD
Frequent Visitor

Hi, 

@v-haibl-msft

Thanks for looking into this!

Here is a bit more::

eg3.JPG

Does this help?!

harleyD
Frequent Visitor

@v-haibl-msft And some more....

eg4.JPG

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@harleyD

Where is Month and Group column and what they look like?

Best Regards,
Herbert

harleyD
Frequent Visitor

Hi, @v-haibl-msft

eg5.JPG

Month = FORMAT(DateDimension[Date].[Date], "mmmm")

Thanks!

harleyD
Frequent Visitor

hi @v-haibl-msft

eg5.JPG

Does this help?

harleyD
Frequent Visitor

eg6.JPGAlso, when creating a simple table with two columns, one from a fact table "Met Management Date" and the second from the date table - it seems they do not continuously match! Could this be the issue?

harleyD
Frequent Visitor

ok so i ahve fixed the date issue - my date dimension, date column and the met management date link nicely with no gaps!

so the onlything left, is to fix the chart! i have managed to get as far as the steps you have created above, i.e. created a cumulative chart with the correct figures displaying. My question now (!) is how do i ge the chart to only show data for the Months in the year up until the end of the month??

Thanks for this!

harleyD
Frequent Visitor

My Issue is, when adding the group to the legend, i get gaps in my data! Does the group need to featurein the Cumulative formula too?