Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Cross filtering/highlighting breaks with Top N filters

I think I've stumbled into an error in how Power BI handles cross filtering/highlighting when a visual has a Top N filter. Here are the steps to reproduce using a publicly available dashboard:

1. Visit Hamilton 2.0 Dashboard – Alliance For Securing Democracy (gmfus.org)
  2. Click Top Tweets by Retweets button to open visual.
  3. Click any element in the Most Frequent Key Phrases visual. 
  4. Click a Tweet in the Top 10 Tweets by Retweets visual. 
  5. Expected behavior: Tweet is selected and Tweet Link appears to the right of the Top 10 Tweets by Retweets visual. Actual behavior: All visuals go blank in the dashboard.

Note, this occurs even if we use a table visual instead of a Top 10 Tweets by Retweets visual. And if I remove the Top N filter int he Top 10 Tweets by Retweets visual, then the problem goes away. 

Comments
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support

@npnigro 

For a table visual, you may use CTRL+Click and Power BI doesn't clear the previous selection state. You might need to contact https://www.cloudscope.io/support/custom-visualizations/timeline.

npnigro
Advocate III

Thanks for your rely. I'm not trying to keep the previous selection state. I'm expecting the state to be cleared and the tweet selected to be the only thing highlighted. I mentioned in my post the behavior I'm seeing occurs when I swap out the Timeline visual with a standard Power BI table visual so I think it's an underlying Power BI issue. Also, if I clear the Top N filter in the visual (Cloudscope or standard table), then I get the expected behavior. 

v-chuncz-msft
Community Support

@npnigro 

You may use Performance Analyzer to check query.

npnigro
Advocate III

Good tip. A few things:

1. Once I get to step 4 in my original post, the query for the visual Top 10 Tweets by Retweets appears in the Performance Analyzer but is greyed out. I don't believe this is correct because if click on an element in that visual immediately after the report page loads, there is no query for that visual. 
  2. If I hit, "Refresh Visuals" in the Performance Analyzer after step 4 in my original post, then I can then see the query for the Top 10 Tweets by Retweets. What I'm seeing is Power BI is reverting back to the original query when the report page loads as opposed to cross-highlighting whatever I selected as it normally would. 

I would like to troubleshoot this with someone at Microsoft directly at this point. I don't think this is the expected behavior. 

npnigro
Advocate III

Can someone at Microsoft please provide an update on this issue?