Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Creating a new Calculated Column gives error in latest Power BI version

Hi,

I have the September 2019 version (2.73.5586.561) of Power BI installed. When trying to create a new calculated column on any model, I first get this strange bug which loads for about 10 seconds:

columnBug1.PNG

I get the below errors at different times and in different cases, resulting in a freeze in Power BI, whereafter I have to End Task and re-open PowerBI.

columnBug2.PNG

columnBug01.PNG

columnBug01_1.PNG

The most explanatory error though is this one:

columnBug3.PNG

Here are the details from the error. After this error it gets stuck on Working on it again.

Any ideas on what the problem might be?

Both the July version (2.71.5523.821) and the later September version (2.73.5586.984) have the same issues.

Kind regards,

Rian

Comments
Rian_II
Advocate III

I have isolated the error.

We open Power BI using a .bat file to simulate it "as opened from a different account", in this case the client service account. This is to enable Windows authentication on all the data source connections using the service account, ensuring sustainability once we leave the client.

The .bat file contains the below:

runas /netonly /user:<domain>\<serviceAccount> "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Power BI Desktop\bin\PBIDesktop.exe"

The errors mentioned above only occur when opening Power BI in this way. I don't know why, I just know that this is what causes the errors.

Any ideas on what might be causing this?

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Rian_II

The issue should be related to the service account. I would suggest you create a support ticket to let engineers look into the issue on your side. 

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Rian_II
Advocate III

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft , 

Thanks for the inputs. I'm confident that there's no issue with the service account as I also get the issue when opening PowerBI with my organisation account (also with the .bat file).

I found some extra issues. I can also not create any new relationships in the data model (also get the errors above).

I tried creating the support ticket, but I need admin approval for this...

columnBug4.PNG

Is this the PowerBI Tenant Admin?