cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create new column by datastream connection with Power BI.

Hi,

I am trying to find the root cause and solution for the below issue as described :

I have 2 datastreams, DS_A and DS_B, in my PBI Workspaces. The DS_B is hosted in Premium per user workspace but DS_A is hosted in Pro workspace.  I am connecting PBI desktop with both the datastreams, but I found different behaviour while connecting to these datastreams.

1. DS_A : After connecting to DS_A, I can create “New Columns” as well as “New Measure”.
  2. DS_B : After connecting to DS_B, I can not create “New Columns”.

ankbaner_0-1647416889184.png

Although, in both the cases, I have selected the below setting in Power BI file. And I also tried the method to upgrade to local model by clicking "Make changes to this model" in modelling section.

ankbaner_1-1647416889188.png

It would be very helpful to find the root cause of the issue and also the solution to this.

Basically it should be related to the connection mode of the data source instead of the types of workspaces.

About the feature 'DirectQuery for PBI datasets and AS', if you disable thi feature, when you connect to datasets from Power BI Service, the connection mode in Live Connection so that you can only create some measures; if you enable this feature, you can transform the Live Connetion mode to DirectQuery mode so that you can create columns and measures, and you can also connect to other datasets in Power BI Desktop, but in this way, the connection mode is always DirectQuery.

See: Using DirectQuery for Power BI datasets and Azure Analysis Services (preview) 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li

Comments
v-yingjl
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Basically it should be related to the connection mode of the data source instead of the types of workspaces.

About the feature 'DirectQuery for PBI datasets and AS', if you disable thi feature, when you connect to datasets from Power BI Service, the connection mode in Live Connection so that you can only create some measures; if you enable this feature, you can transform the Live Connetion mode to DirectQuery mode so that you can create columns and measures, and you can also connect to other datasets in Power BI Desktop, but in this way, the connection mode is always DirectQuery.

See: Using DirectQuery for Power BI datasets and Azure Analysis Services (preview) 

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li

ankbaner
Frequent Visitor

Hi @v-yingjl ,

As mentioned earlier , I have already enabled the feature "DirectQuery for PBI datasets and AS". Although, in case of DS_B i am not able to create new column. Whenever I tried to click "Make changes in model", I get below error. I am also the admin of the workspace, still i am getting permission Issue.

Error.png