Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Couldn't publish to Power BI

Hello, our users are currently receiving this error message when trying to publish a report; all relevant access and permissions are correct, no variables have changed since being able to publish prior to today. Can you please look into this or can anybody help?

This also occurs when publishing a dataset but if you change the owner to the current user they can then publish the dataset, however other users with correct permissions should be able to publish the dataset without being the 'owner'. 

Could not publish to Power BI.png

Hi @rappleton 

I will change the status to "Delivered" , so that the users with the same issue can deal with their issues by the workaround you provided .

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Ailsa Tao

Comments
v-yetao1-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @rappleton 

The report you published to Service is a new report or it already exists on the Service, then you repubish it to replace the old one ? In addition to this report, can other reports be published to the Service ? Does the user who publishes the report have the corresponding workspace permission ? 

Best Regards,

rappleton
Advocate I

Hi Ailsa, 

It is a current report which I am replacing. Other reports can be published on the service if they are new reports. Yes the user who publishes the report has the corresponding workspace permissions. 

Kind regards,

Richard 

rappleton
Advocate I

Hi again, just to update you, if I delete the report and then publish it works, I can then publish an iterative version straight away. 

Kind regards, 

Richard

rappleton
Advocate I

The only issue with this is monitoring usage statistics if the report is deleted and then published under the same name, presumably it will think it is a brand new report rather than an iteration? 

This issue is having a big impact across our business, is there an update at all?

Thank you, 

Richard  

rappleton
Advocate I

@AilsaTao Hi, any updates please, we are really struggling to publish with this issue. Thanks

rappleton
Advocate I

@AilsaTao Hi, please can we have an update on this as we are experiencing widespread issues publishling reports with this issue. Thank you 

@v-yetao1-msft 

rappleton
Advocate I

Hello, this is the latest error message related to this issue when trying to overwrite / republish a paginated report to the given App (this was from the dataset owner), please can someone get in touch ASAP as the impact of this is widespread in our massive organisation. Thank you @v-yetao1-msft @AilsaTao 

image (6).png

v-yetao1-msft
Community Support

Hi @rappleton 

Based on the above information, if you are a Power BI Pro licensee, you can create a support ticket for free and a dedicated Microsoft engineer will come to solve the problem for you.

It would be great if you continue to share in this issue to help others with similar problems after you know the root cause or solution.

The link of Power BI Support: https://powerbi.microsoft.com/en-us/support/

For how to create a support ticket, please refer to https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/How-to-create-a-support-ticket-in-Power-BI/ba-p/6830...

Best Regards,

rappleton
Advocate I

Thanks @AilsaTao I have logged a ticket and will share the results once resolved. 

rappleton
Advocate I

Just to update everyone, I have spoken to an engineer and we have not yet been able to find the cause of the issue but have found a workaround. 

If you are struggling to publish from desktop with the same issue, if you upload your PBIX file from the Power BI service that should work, and following that you should be able to publish from desktop again (and replace previous versions etc).