Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Corrupt or invalid report file

Since this morning I am unable to open a pbix file that I have been working on everyday since the fast 3 months.

As suggested in some other posts

1) I tried to Open Power BI separately -> File - > Open the file. Still the same error and autorecovery option also did not show up

2) Created a copy and renamed the file extension to zip and then opened, but failed to open again

3) Restore a previous version - No previous version was available

Can you please help

-Ankur

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Do you remember which Power BI desktop version used to open the report successfully last time? 

Would you please share the pbix file with us? You can upload it to your OneDirve and send the share link to me via private message. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft

It was probably Oct - 2.62.5222.761 64-bit or Sep - 2.63.3272.40262 64-bit. Can't remember exactly. Bt it was working fine until yesterday. This morning it failed to open and I then updated PBI to the most current Nov 2.64.5285.741 64-bit update and tried to open again but it still says it is corrupted. I just sent you a PM with the link to the file. Let me know if you are unable to access it. Any help would be really appreciated

Thanks,

Ankur

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

The file can't be opened in Power BI desktop 2.62.5222.601 64-bit (September 2018) and 2.65.5313.621 64-bit (December 2018) with the same error: 

q7.PNG

The pbix file should be corrupt. If you have published the pbix file to Power BI service previously, you can download pbix file from Power BI service. Otherwise, I'm afraid you need to create a new report manually. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Okay @v-qiuyu-msft. Do you know why the file could get corrupted in the first place? I had never experienced anything of this kind in the past 2-3 years since I I have been PBI. How can I ensure it doesn't happen again?

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous,

Please check if anyone made the change to the pbix file recently. 

As far as I know, if we leave the pbix file without any modification after saving the report, e can open the report with the same Power BI desktop or newer version. 

You can backup pbix file or publish the pbix file to Power BI service to avoid this accident.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu