Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Copy & Paste Visuals Not Working

I've tried a number of things including restarting my system but it seems that the ability to copy & paste a visual is not working. 

Version: 2.111.590.0 64-bit (November 2022)

Hi @wegemmell ,

As you said, you may have had some problems with your old tabs that caused errors, the good news is that you can now successfully implement the copy and paste function. I will change the status to "Delivered", if you still have any problems, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,

Community Support Team Selina zhu

Comments
v-mengzhu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @wegemmell ,

Do the testing as the following shows:

1 copy this visual

vmengzhumsft_0-1669786763079.png

2 In the same page I can successfully copy

vmengzhumsft_1-1669786838519.png

3 I also can copy it to another page

vmengzhumsft_2-1669786903545.png

The result of my testing shows the "copy" function can work. My version is also the same as yours.

Not sure if it's visual related, can you tell me what visual you copied and if my steps are the same as yours?

Best regards,

wegemmell
Helper III

Hi, @v-mengzhu-msft 

Thank you for this feedback. I have tested several methods and have concluded the following:

1. Cannot copy/paste shapes and images (Ctrl+C) will not work and there is no copy option on these visuals when right clicking.
  2. Yesteday, the paste function wasn't working at all but I can now seem to paste visuals if trying to paste on the same page in which the visual was copied from.
  3. I am unable to paste any visual onto another page or onto another pbix file that has the same data source.

Rectangle example: 

wegemmell_0-1669814641107.png

Thank you

wegemmell
Helper III

For now, I am going to rebuild the page I need to copy into another file. I will test this again at a later date to see if it has been resolved.

Thank you again.

wegemmell
Helper III

In more testing, it actually seems to have been tied to the original pages. I created a new page with new visuals and tried copy/paste from there and experienced no issues. When tryng to copy/paste from the original page, however, it still will not work. I've tried other files and had no issues. Just something with the one page in which I am trying to copy from. Please consider this complete.

Thank you again.

v-mengzhu-msft
Community Support

Hi @wegemmell ,

Do the second testing accroding to your description. get the following results:

1 Can copy my visual through "Ctrl+c"and "Ctrl +V", but I cannot see "paste"option when I right click. I only can paste my visual through "Ctrl +V".

2 If I copy visual between two different file, I can copy but the visual can't load because the two file have different data source.

3 If the two file have same data source, I can copy and visual can load successfully.

Anyway, after testing, the copy function should be fine.

Best regards,

wegemmell
Helper III

Hi, @v-mengzhu-msft 

1. I can now copy and paste using Ctrl+C & Ctrl+V after creating a new tab (old tab must have been corrupt somehow?). The old tab has been deleted and issue resolved.
  2. I am still unable to right click and see "Copy visual" on shapes and images
  3. Yes, if I have two files of the same data source, the visuals load just fine.

Thank you again for your help.

v-mengzhu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @wegemmell ,

As you said, you may have had some problems with your old tabs that caused errors, the good news is that you can now successfully implement the copy and paste function. I will change the status to "Delivered", if you still have any problems, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards,

joglidden2
Post Patron

This problem seems to be getting worse with newer versions of PBI desktop, not better. Is the PBI team having malloc() issues?