Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Continuous x-axis issue

Hi,

Today based on a post from the community I observed a strange behaviour on the concatenation of an Hierarchy based on Number/text values.

I'm on the July version of PBI (Version: 2.60.5169.3201 64-bit (July 2018))

When putting the hierarchy levels on X-axis if you do the full drilldown on your chart and turn off the concatenation the X-axis still shows as concatenated:

concatenated.png

If you go to the ... and select a sort by, then the X-axis assumes the concatenation OFF.

concatened_ok.png

See attach a PBIX file with 4 charts (text and number hierarchy) top ones are concatened off and made the sort by bottom ones didn't make the sort so you can test it on your computer and check the changes.

Regards,

MFelix

Comments
BIfanatic
Resolver I

Thanks for posting this. It is probably based on the issue I posted yesterday in the community:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Grouping-label-on-x-axis-not-working/m-p/472740

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@MFelix @BIfanatic,

For the bottom charts, please ensure that you sort the chart by x axis values. Concatenate Labels will work after you sort by x axis values. For more details, please refer to Amanda's reply in the following thread.

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/concatenate-x-axis-does-not-work-for-all-char-types/td-p/10...

Regards,
Lydia

MFelix
Super User

Hi @v-yuezhe-msft,

In the post you refer it says that we need to make the sorting in order to make the concatenation working or not even if the columns are already correctly sorted. In my opinion this is a bug, doesn't make sense to have to change the sorting back and forth to make it work, it's not user friendly.

Regards.

MFelix

BIfanatic
Resolver I

I agree with @MFelix. It might work, but it is not intuitive or user-friendly at all.

v-yuezhe-msft
Employee

@MFelix @BIfanatic

This behavior is by design. You can submit an idea about this feature in Power BI ideas forum.

Regards,
Lydia

apralou
Advocate II

I genuinely can't get over how wacky and weird this fix is. So I can't make the most sensical view the default view and need to teach my stakeholders to jump through hoops just to categorise the x axis data... okay...