Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Connection to Azure SQL Database - Login Failed for User '<token-identified principal>'

Hello Community,

I'm experiencing this error message below while trying to open an exisiting PBI Desktop on a new laptop. Using SSMS I'm able to connect just fine. 

Jordan007_1-1637604952563.png

I also tried creating a new PBI Desktop connecting to Azure SQL Database But for some reason after my authentication after authenticating with my MFA, the authentication fails using Microsoft Account or Database Login as ashown below.

Jordan007_2-1637605467161.png

Has anyone experienced this issue before? 

Many thanks for your feedback.

Which connection mode you have used to connect to Azure SQL database in Power BI, import or direct query?

In addition, please try to clear permissions in Power BI, create a new report to connect to the data source to check it again.

If still has the same issue, try to check different version of Power BI Desktop to check.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li

Comments
bcincy99
Frequent Visitor

We are having the same issues when accessing a report that has been working.  Users are getting the following error from the Power BI Service for each of the visuals in the report:

Activity ID: 87c2eeb1-dc79-446a-b172-404d53f2a77c
Request ID: 598e9c3d-4794-80b9-cca2-490f7071ed60
Correlation ID: ba55a6f0-6123-af17-73fb-7f9ec16e63ad
Time: Mon Nov 22 2021 13:39:39 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
Service version: 13.0.17186.43
Client version: 2111.3.08642-train
Cluster URI: https://wabi-us-central-a-primary-redirect.analysis.windows.net/
Activity ID: 87c2eeb1-dc79-446a-b172-404d53f2a77c
Request ID: 598e9c3d-4794-80b9-cca2-490f7071ed60
Time: Mon Nov 22 2021 13:39:39 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
Service version: 13.0.17186.43
Client version: 2111.3.08642-train
Cluster URI: https://wabi-us-central-a-primary-redirect.analysis.windows.net/

If I try to edit credentials on the dataset, sometimes I get an error that the credentials are not valid.  I can login toe SSMS with the same credentials and I have access to the database and can do select statements from the tables in the database.

v-yingjl
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

Which connection mode you have used to connect to Azure SQL database in Power BI, import or direct query?

In addition, please try to clear permissions in Power BI, create a new report to connect to the data source to check it again.

If still has the same issue, try to check different version of Power BI Desktop to check.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li

bcincy99
Frequent Visitor

I'm using Direct Query.  I'm not sure what you are asking me to do.  The credentials have been working in the Power BI Service version of the report for several weeks and just stopped working.  I can use the same credentials to login to the database in SSMS and Power BI Desktop.  It's only the web based version of the report through Power BI Service that has stopped working.

lenu

Hi, we are currently experiencing a similar issue with the November 2021 version of Power BI only. The October 2021 version is not having issues. For us, it has to do with Snowflake SSO using Microsoft Account only, it works fine for the few users that have a Snowflake service account. We have isolated the issue to be only happening in the newest update of Power BI. Nov2021.PNG

Jordan007
Regular Visitor

Hello Community Support Team,

Thanks for the assistance.

Yesterday, I already tried out the creating a new viz yesterday using import which allowed me connect to the azure SQL database and thereafter start up the existing viz with direct query to the same Database which reset the authentication and grant me access to the database.

Regards