Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Connection Error using Azure Databricks connector

I built a model in Power BI Desktop using the Azure Databricks native connector and worked with the file across a few days without issue. Now, I'm getting an error each time I open the .pbix file:

Error Message:
OLE DB or ODBC error: [DataSource.Error] ODBC: ERROR [08S01] [Microsoft][Hardy] (115) Connection failed with error: SSL_connect: wrong version number.

OS Version:
Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.19042.0 (x64 en-US)

CLR Version:
4.8 or later [Release Number = 528372]

I have verified this is not a Databricks authentication issue or an issue with the SQL endpoint. I have switched the connection to ODBC and I didn't get this error, so it seems to be an issue with the Azure Databricks Power BI native connector.

My work around is to go through the following steps:

1. Click Transform Data to open Power Query Editor
  2. Copy the M code from the Advanced Editor for one of the Queries and close editor
  3. Go to first step (Source) in Applied Steps and recreate the navigation to the desired table (which replaces the subsequent steps) until I see a preview of the data
  4. Copy remaining logic that I copied in step 2 back into the Advanced Editor so I don't have to manually rebuild all the transformation for the one query
  5. Close and Apply

After doing these steps for one of the queries, all the connections work without issue until I close the file. Each time I open the Power BI Desktop file again, I get the same error and have to go through these steps. Any idea what is causing this issue?

Similar issue has been submited internal(ICM: 315377535), would update here as soon as possible if there is any progress about it.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li

Comments
v-yingjl
Community Support
Status changed to: Accepted

Similar issue has been submited internal(ICM: 315377535), would update here as soon as possible if there is any progress about it.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Yingjie Li

daniel_st
Advocate III

Hi all,

Is there an update regarding that issue? We are facing the same problem.

Best regards,

Daniel

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, any updates on this issue? Also having this problem 

hendrikX
Regular Visitor

Any new updates?