Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Connecting to Web Data Source using Basic Authorization Key

Hi,

I'm trying to fetch data using api. In doing so, I'm selecting Get Data -> Web, and providing the URL, Authorization as Key and Basic xyzxyz(the actual key) as value of the header.  However I keep getting DataSource.Error "We are unable to retrieve the contents of the web page." 

I'm able to get the results in JSON when I use curl or Postman to make a request. Seeking some help on using Power BI to fetch the data so that I can create vizualizations.

Thanks,

Sandeep

Hi @sandeep_43 ,

This is indeed a very good workaround.I will change the status to "Delivered"

Best regards,

Community Support Team Selina zhu

Comments
v-mengzhu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @sandeep_43 ,

Do you necessarily need to use an API to connect to a web data source?

If you need to get data to create reports, you can connect directly from power bi to the web data source.

Data sources for Power BI - Power BI | Microsoft Learn

Best regards,

sandeep_43

Hi @v-mengzhu-msft,

Thanks for posting the suggestion, it did help a bit. And yes, using the API would be a better solution to get the data. Here are the 3 possible solutions I could think of as a workaround:

1. Run any script that can use curl command (or use power Automate or any other automation technique) to download data -> save that data to Sharepoint (or any suitable location) -> Load it in Power BI

2. Use Python script to get the data (but you have to take care of the pre-requisites as well)

3. Use Power Query to get the data. This one worked like a charm. I followed example from this reference doc:

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/powerquery-m/web-contents?source=recommendations

I'm currently using the 3rd solution until the original method starts to work.

Thanks,

Sandeep

v-mengzhu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

Hi @sandeep_43 ,

This is indeed a very good workaround.I will change the status to "Delivered"

Best regards,