Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Computed entities in Dataflows not showing lightning bolt

Hi there,

I've come across a problem with how computed entities are shown in the Dataflow Query Editor.

The way a computed entity is shown to a user is through the use of a "lightning bolt" on the entity's icon, however, in some scenarios this lightning bolt doesn't appear, even though the entity is "computed". This can cause confusion when saving and closing the Dataflow Query Editor, and a message pops up saying "This dataflow contains computed entities, which require Premium to refresh. To enable refresh, upgrade this workspace to Premium capacity".

Funnily enough, the lightning bolt does show on the "Entities" page after you've closed the query editor. See the following photos:

No lightning bolt.pngEntities view.png

The way that I got into this scenario is by creating a new blank query (Roles (2)), and inserting the following code:

let
  #"Reversed rows" = Table.ReverseRows(Roles)
in
  #"Reversed rows"

This is a computed entity, since it references the "Roles" entity. However, the lightning bolt doesn't show, because I've called the referenced entity directly.

What I've realised is that the only way to get the "lightning bolt" is if you:

1. Right click on an entity and click "Reference" and then perform your transformations. This will make your M query look like this:

let
      Source = Roles,
      #"Reversed rows" = Table.ReverseRows(Source)
    in
      #"Reversed rows"

This will then show the lightning bolt, but has added another unnecessary step.

2. Click "Merge queries as new". This shows the lightning bolt.

3. Click "Append queries as new". This shows the lightning bolt.

However, from my investigation, any other table functions (e.g. Table.Group or Table.Transpose) that reference an entity directly (rather than via an intermiate step to the M query) don't show the lightning bolt even when they should. This can make it quite hard to diagnose when you're looking at complex queries. 

Hope this makes sense.

Ed

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @ed-freeman

I have reported this issue internally: CRI 186107424. Will update here once I get any information. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Accepted

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @ed-freeman

I got information below: 

The CX can identify computed entities by looking for icon in the red circle below. We also filed the follow bug to improve warning message and to make the compute entitles more obvious. 

q4.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

ed-freeman
Helper II

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft ,

Thanks for the response!

Understood - I acknowledged that in my original message (see the second screenshot): 

Entities view with lightning bolt.png

The problem is that the lightning bolt doesn't show on the entity in the Query Editor view (as seen in my first screenshot):

No lightning bolt highlighted.png

Is that one of the bugs you've filed?

Thanks!

Ed

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @ed-freeman

Yes, engineering team already known it. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

v-xuding-msft
Community Support

Hi @ed-freeman ,

The issue had been fixed. Please have a try. Hope it is working perfectly on your side.

ed-freeman
Helper II

Hi @v-xuding-msft,

I've just tested it and it's still not working. Below is a screenshot of the query editor view:

No lightning bolt - update 2020-09-01.png

But when you "Save & close" to the entity view, the lighning bolt suddenly appears, along with the warning around requiring Premium to refresh:

Entities view - update 2020-09-01.png

Hope this helps,

Ed