Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Completely blank/white window

Hello,

I am trying to startup my power bi desktop app but as soon as it opens i only get a completly black/white window. No buttons, no menu, no errors. Some keyboard shortcuts are working so this means that the application is working properly but it is not rendering. 

Tried with different .pbix and with new ones, so it is not a report related issue. 

Uninstall and install different version ( 32-bit , 64-bit, older version, version via MS store ) nothing fixed the issue. 

Some times, i get an unknown error message (after 2 hours of waiting) and the information i get on clipboard are the below:

Feedback Type:

Frown (Error)

Error Message:

script invocation returned error message. script : BI.Shell.InterOp.ExplorationClient.instance.getReportViewSettings(false), message : Uncaught ReferenceError: BI is not defined

@ about:blank:1:0

Stack Trace:

System.Exception

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.CefSharpFramework.CefWebBrowserBase.<InvokeScriptAsync>d__24`1.MoveNext()

--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.ThrowForNonSuccess(Task task)

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.ReportViewClientHost.<GetReportViewSettingsFromClient>d__73.MoveNext()

at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.ReportViewClientHost.<GetDocumentContent>d__80.MoveNext()

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Report.<CommitUIState>d__72.MoveNext()

at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.AutoRecoveryManager.<>c__DisplayClass84_0.<<PerformAutoSave>b__1>d.MoveNext()

Any solutions? 
Thank you 🙂

Hi @smoustakas 

May I know what's the version of your Power BI Desktop?

Have you ever tried to install your Desktop from Microsoft Download center  according to the bit of your operating system?

If you directly click on its shortcut icon, will it be opened and rendered properly?

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _Caiyun

Comments
v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @smoustakas 

May I know what's the version of your Power BI Desktop?

Have you ever tried to install your Desktop from Microsoft Download center  according to the bit of your operating system?

If you directly click on its shortcut icon, will it be opened and rendered properly?

Best Regards,

smoustakas
Regular Visitor

Hello @v-cazheng-msft ,

Thank you very much for your reply.

Right now, i have installed the app via the MS Store . 

I have also tried, the 32-bit and the 64-bit version from the official download page. No luck.

( Uninstall, clear temp, clear registry, restart, install, Run as admin on shotcut and Program Files folder, no render )

Tried today to open via the ms store shortcut, but still it is not rendering. 

Also tried the June version in order to check if it is a problem with the new version, but still no luck.

The big issue here is that it was working properly 10 days ago. 

On the control panel, i can see that the current version is 2.99.782.0 ( MS app installed right now on pc ). 

Also, tried restore - repair via control panel. 

Thank you,

Serafeim

v-cazheng-msft
Community Support

Hi @smoustakas 

Thanks for your reply! Please open a support ticket by following the steps in this blog. There will be a support engineer help you troubleshoot on this issue. 

Best Regards,

smoustakas
Regular Visitor

Unfortunately, i don't have the pro version so i can't create a support ticket.

Thank you for your help.

v-cazheng-msft
Community Support

Hi @smoustakas 

Thanks for your reply! Could you please try these workarounds to see whether it will solve your problem?

1 Disable Power BI Desktop infranstructure update in your Options and restart it again

vcazhengmsft_0-1637915064076.png

2 Enable this setting but install WebView2 following this link

3 Downgrade to lower version of Power BI Desktop by this link

Best Regards,

smoustakas
Regular Visitor

Hello,

I can't try the first solution because i dont see any buttons on the window in order to get to the options. Is there any keyboard shortcuts?

I installed the Webview2 and tried an older version (June 2021). Still the window is completely blank/white.

On the June 2021 version, i can't even get past the small PowerBI window when the app is starting.

Thank you.

v-cazheng-msft
Community Support

Hi @smoustakas 

Thanks for your reply. You may reach this setting by this path:  File> Options and Settings>Options>Preview feature.

Best Regards,

alansb

Hi,

I have the exact same problem @smoustakas described, in every single way. I have also tried almost everything he tried to fix.

I also tried the solution of the following issue (although different from what I am experiencing): https://community.fabric.microsoft.com/t5/Desktop/Blank-frozen-screen-when-trying-to-Sign-In/td-p/18...

Was there a solution?

Thank you.