Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Company branding of Power BI Report Services browser interface not identical to SSRS

After installing Power BI Report Server, I have noted that the branding package (identical user for SSRS) does not translate the colors the same for the left (vertical) menu bar (example: Site Settings).  We did a scaled-out deployment where both SSRS and PBIRS were sharing the same Reporting Services database.  Both sites looked identical (SSRS and PBIRS) expect for the area of the interface noted above, which mostly affects the font colors.  The inactive menu options show up in a grayish hue for the font color, while the active/selected menu option shows up in white in PBIRS.  However, under SSRS they were both dark blue, based on our uploaded branding package.  

We have since removed the SSRS database instance from the scale-out deployment and uninstalled 2016 SSRS, just leaving PBIRS running.  Even after that, this issue with the colors not being the same as SSRS for the area of the interface noted above still remains.

Does anyone know of any issues or changes to the branding templates between SSRS and PBIRS, or is this a bug with PBIRS?

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @pz68lk,

Please Download a sample brand package and apply in your Power BI report server to see if the same issue happens.

q4.PNG

Which Power BI report server version did you run? Please run the latest version 14.0.600.286.

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

pz68lk
Advocate I

We are using the version you noted of PBIRS (v14.0.600.286).  Also, I'm using this same version of the branding package that you provided a link too.  I'm also stressing the point that it doesn't apply the same font colors for the left (vertical) menu pane in PBIRS as it does when using SSRS.  I am providing screenshots I saved so you can see the left menu and the differences in font colors using the EXACT SAME company branding package with both SSRS and PBIRS.

Here's how the company branding package looks in SSRS:

SSRS (Left Side Color Scheme).png

Here's how the same branding package looks with PBIRS:

PBIRS (Left Side Color Scheme).png

htriki

Dears

We are facing similar issue

We have Power BI Reporting Server June Release (14.0.600.301).

We have configured our branding but It seems that vertical menu is skipping the branding and doesn't change the colour.

htriki

A little precision

I am speaking but the color of the text in left vertical menu

johncpratt
Advocate II

I just migrated an SSRS 2016 instance that already had branding applied to Power BI Report Server version 14.0.600.398 (August 2017 Preview) and encountered the exact same issue.  It seems to only affect the secondaryContrast for left menu item link text for default and selected links.  The branding is applied correctly when mousing over the left menu item, and works fine for all the top menu links.

Here is a screenshot of the original SSRS 2016 branding (top item selected, bottom item moused-over):

SSRS 2016 left menu branding.png

And here is a screenshot of the PBIRS Aug2017Preview branding  (top item selected, bottom item moused-over):

PBIRS Aug2017 left menu branding.png

I did reapply the branding, with no affect.  If this is not a PBIRS bug, then the community needs to know how to alter the colors.json file to get the left menu branding to work as expected.  Thx

johncpratt
Advocate II

Bug or not, F12 dev tools (IE 11) shows where the problem is occurring for the selected left menu item text styling.  The branding color defined in colors.json is being overridden.

Styling applied to left menu selected item text, SSRS 2016:

SSRS 2016 left menu selected text styling.png

Styling applied to left menu selected item text, PBIRS Aug2017 Preview:

PBIRS Aug2017 left menu selected text styling.png

Under PBIRS, you can see that the expected font color of #000 is being overridden by #f9f9f9.

I decided to check out the default menu item text styling as well, and it is even more goofy.

Default left menu item text styling, SSRS 2016:

SSRS 2016 left menu default text styling.png

Default left menu item text styling, PBIRS Aug2017 Preview:

PBIRS Aug2017 left menu default text styling.png