Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Common Data Service requires coded field to import description

This bit me today. The Common Data Service connector requires the original coded field from CDS to be included in the query in order for Power BI to consistently import the description for the field.

For example, when importing Accounts from Dynamics using CDS, in order to get the statuscode_display field to consistently populate, statuscode must be included in the query. If statuscode is removed in the query editor, the statuscode_display will still show up in the query editor, but will it will be NULL when importing into Power BI. Unfortunately, this behaviour is not consistent and some field that had the code field removed worked and many others did not. With enough refreshes or manipulating the query, eventually all fields where the code field was removed started displaying NULL values.

This is not so much a question as a suggestion to fix. The workaround is to include the code values, but it's a huge pain to then go and hide all the code values from the final Power BI report.

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @brownrobm

Based on my test in Power BI desktop version 2.74.5619.862 64-bit (October 2019), connect to the Dynamics 365 online and select the Account table, if we remove Statuscode column, the Statuscode_display column can display correct value. 

q1.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

brownrobm
Frequent Visitor

The error was sporatic before, but now I cannot recreate it. I guess it has been fixed. Thanks!

brownrobm
Frequent Visitor

v-qiuyu-msft, it is still not fixed. Here is an example from today using the latest Power BI desktop. 

The first shot is the loaded data that is missing the display column values, the second shot is from the load data tab, where the data is present

2019-12-04_12-04-04.jpg2019-12-04_12-06-17.jpg

Now if I add the source columns back, I magically get desriptions:

2019-12-04_12-08-24.jpg