Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Column with date type weird behaviour on Excel

If I copy one column with date type and I paste it on Excel, it appears full blank

Sin título.png

I got mad for a minute. Then I realised I had to change manually the data type of the Excel column to date type to see the data, if not, you don't see nothing as the above image. This is a little bit weird.

It's not a really bug but I think it should be changed.

Thank you for reading.

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@powerbirino

Where did you copy the date column from? I tried to copy it both from Query Editor and Data Navigation as below, the column can appear in Excel 2016 without changing format.

Column with date type weird behaviour on Excel_1.jpg

Best Regards,

Herbert

powerbirino
Frequent Visitor

@v-haibl-msft

I copied the data from Data Navigation. Moreover, I have reproduced this weird error again when I've seen your reply. I've opened a new PowerBI file, created a calculated table with the function CALENDAR and copied the Date column to a new Excel and no data appears on Excel (like image from OP).

The opening post was done with a calculated column I think.

It seems we follow the same steps and different behaviour occurs, I don't know what the problem can be a part from a bug.

Thank you.

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@powerbirino

Thanks for the details. I can repro the same issue as you now.

I’ve reported this issue to Power BI team: CRI 26876837

I’ll update here once I get any update about it.

Best Regards,

Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@powerbirino

This should be an Excel issue, not Power BI Desktop. Pasting the data in Notepad shows expected results.

Best Regards,

Herbert