Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Column Headers Fail to Resize Properly

I have a Table-type visualization. "Word wrap" is on for column headers, and I have manually re-sized practically all of the columns.

The table has many columns, and so there is a horizontal scroll bar.

Word wrapping is happening only on a few column headers toward the left side of the table (some of the "first" columns). So, when I first view the table, the height of the column headers is increased to accommodate two lines of text.

When I use the horizontal scroll bar to scroll all the way to the right, all the visible column headers (the "last" columns in my table) fit on a single line. And, if I resize one of those columns, or click one of those column headers to sort by that column, then the height of the column headers is automatically decreased, to accommodate just a single line of text in the column header. Which works for the moment, because all of the visible columns fit on a single line.

However, the problem comes when I subsequently scroll back to the left, where I have those column headers that do not fit in a single line of text. After scrolling back to the left, the height of the column headers does NOT increase again. The text in my column headers still requires multiple lines, but the column headers are not expanded to accommodate them.

This occurs in both Power BI Desktop and the Power BI Service.

Comments
kevhav
Continued Contributor

For example, the affected column headers look like the following screenshot.

The text is "Date Due (UTC)" and "Time Due (UTC)"...but as you can see, the height of the column header is not sufficient to show all of the text:

Capture.PNG

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @kevhav,

I'm not able to reproduce the issue on my side in Power BI desktop 2.61.5192.601 64-bit (August 2018). Would you please share a pbix file with us? You can upload it to your OneDrive if it doesn't contain any sensitive information. 

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Needs Info

kevhav
Continued Contributor

Hi @v-qiuyu-msft,

Yes, easy...I can still reproduce it, using this .pbix file, and using the latest version of Power BI Desktop.

Notice that word wrap is on, for the column headers.

And the first column (OrderDate) and last column have had their widths reduced, so that the column headers take up two lines. When you open up the file, OrderDate looks like this...Capture1.PNG

After opening the file, follow JUST these steps:

1. Scroll the table all the way to the right.

2. Change the width of the last column ("ReallyReallyReallyReallyReallyLongFieldName"), so that it is much wider, and so that the column header no longer takes up two lines. Make it just one line. Notice how the height of all the column headers decrease, once that one no longer takes up two lines.

3. Scoll the table all the way to the left. Notice how the height of the column headers stays the same, and so the "OrderDate" column header now looks like this:

Capture2.PNG

Birger

Experiencing the same issue. Is this thread still active?