Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Color theme inadvertently changing

Hi,

I am using Power BI Desktop to display a few bar charts of an object I will call "Observation". Each Observation has a defined "Observation Severity", which can be one of four possible values (Low, Medium, High, IDLH). There are other dimensions that can be associated to an Observation, but Observation Severity is the column that seems to be causing me problems.

Using the bar charts "Data colors" option, I have defined a color for each Observation Severity, which ultimately map to the following:
- Low -> Green
- Medium -> Yellow
- High -> Orange
- IDLH -> Red

Ultimately, I am placing the Power BI Report into a website (using Embedded Power BI). I am also using Power BI's Preview Feature to enable cross filtering in both directions for DirectQuery. I am using this feature because I need to restrict the data that a given user can see.

When I view the reports through Desktop, either as a user who has "admin" rights - and can see all data - or a user that has limited access, the color theme remains as I expect. Viewing the report through the website also works for the admin user. 

However, when viewing the report as a limited user, the color theme changes slightly. As opposed to the color mapping described above, I see:
- Low -> Yellow
- Medium -> Orange
- High -> Red

Please see photos below for an example.

Is this something anyone has run into before?

Thank you

1.Desktop-NoUserFilter-Good.png2.Desktop-UserA-Good.png3.Desktop-UserB-Good.png4.Embedded-UserA-Good.png5.Embedded-UserB-Bad.png

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @sasedlock,

1. Did you use custom color theme or default color theme for this report?

2. Which data source did you connect to, is it SQL Server database?

3. Which Desktop version did you run?

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Needs Info

sasedlock

Thank you Qiuyun.

To answer your questions:

1. I used a custom theme
  2. I'm connected SQL Server Database (which is hosted in Azure)
  3. 2.45.4704.442 64-bit (April 2017)

Best,

Sean

vsmurli
Advocate IV

Hello,

I have been stymied by the same issue.  Anyone on this thread figure out how to make the Power BI Report robust to prevent this behavior?

If I manually/explicitly set colors like this:

Bananas=Yellow

Oranges=Orange

Strawberries=Red

It is annoying indeed to come in the next morning and see

Bananas=Red

Oranges=Yellow

Strawberries=Blue

That's just crazy.  Is there a workflow to get the original colors to "stick" and not change?