Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Circular dependency

Hello everyone,

I have a report that I've refreshed successfully via Power BI Desktop, manual refreshes via the Service, and scheduled refreshes via the service. This morning, the scheduled refresh failed due to a circular dependency. I refreshed successfully via the Desktop version. Any ideas as to why?

[% diff], [tunnel forecast Downstream], and [tunnel forecast sales] are all calculated (DAX) columns. [% diff] is calculated using the other two calculated columns

Data source error: A circular dependency was detected: schn vw_SalesForecast[tunnel forecast Downstream], schn vw_SalesForecast[% diff], schn vw_SalesForecast[tunnel forecast sales], schn vw_SalesForecast[tunnel forecast Downstream].
Cluster URI: WABI-NORTH-EUROPE-F-PRIMARY-redirect.analysis.windows.net
Activity ID: 4302928e-aa2b-433c-a9b0-c8708c041d56
Request ID: 744158ad-5ca7-fcdc-0e13-b94200de883e
Time: 2021-10-22 14:22:54Z

Comments
edhans
Super User

Can you show an image of your model? Do you have any 1:1 bidi relationships?

marcorusso
MVP

It seems a regression, we already reported a repro to Microsoft. However, your report seems a different case, so the side effect of the regression could be much worse than what I've already seen.

Do you have one-to-one relationships in your model?

HankCostner
Regular Visitor

@edhans @marcorusso 

Yes, my data model has a few 1:1 bidi relationships, including between the two tables involved in the calculated columns. 

schn vw_SalesForecast pulls information from schn TunnelDII via the relationship between the whsprod columns. 

Data ModelData ModelData Model Zoomed InData Model Zoomed In

marcorusso
MVP

As a temporary workaround, you can try to covert the one-to-one relationship into many-to-many cardinality relationships.

HankCostner
Regular Visitor

@marcorusso Thank you so much, that worked! Could you tell me why that works?

marcorusso
MVP

Probably because a 1-1 is a regular relationship and a m-m is a limited relationship. The former applies a unique constraint and that could be involved in the circular dependency detection. However, I'm just guessing, we have to wait for a Microsoft response (and a fix).

HankCostner
Regular Visitor

Thank you!

v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

v-chuncz-msft
Community Support

@marcorusso 

Thanks for the sharing above.