Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Changes to Free Service Yesterday Breaking Out-of-Tenant Shared Dashboards

We utilize out-of-tenant shared dashboards extensively and are aware of the change made yesterday to the Power BI Free service.  We've had our clients activate their free Pro trial and are using a Pro account to share out-of-tenant.

However, even after activation, out-of-tenant shared dashboard links are not working.  They just display the Power BI logo and it blinks continuously.  

I tried going to the dashboard as the owner (again, logged into a Pro account), clicking "Stop Sharing" on the dashboard and re-sharing with the client (who had activated the Pro trial) and still, they see the blinking Power BI logo.

Using developer tools in the browser, I see a failed XMLHttpRequest:

URL: https://wabi-us-north-central-redirect.analysis.windows.net/powerbi/invitation/dashboards/invitation...
Method: HTTPS POST

Error code: 401 (Unauthorized)

Looks like yesterday's switch-over broke out-of-tenant dashboards.  This seems to happen all the time, out-of-tenant sharing is very unstable and doesn't seem to be tested well enough when changes are made to the Power BI Service.  I've opened many other tickets reflecting these issues on this site.

Please let me know if you need any more details, all of our clients are dead in the water right now (even after activating the Pro trial).  @v-haibl-msft - you've been very helpful in the past on keeping me informed & updated on issues like this so wanted to proactively make you aware what's happening here.

Regards,

Caleb Blanton

Comments
Joe
Advocate II
Advocate II

We are having the same issue and I have opened a ticket with microsoft  about 8 hours ago. They said they will get back to me after consulting their product team. So far I havent heard back. Very embarassing  since we are unable to maintain the expectations of our clients.

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@CalebBlanton @Joe

I can repro the same issue as you. I’ve reported it internally to Power BI Team: CRI 39028265
I’ll post here once I get any update about it.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted

Joe
Advocate II
Advocate II

Thanks Herbert and Vicky. The ticket that  I had opened on Friday is  REG:117060215837110.  They said they will contact the product team and get back to me . I am still  waiting for a response.  Many thanks

prokurors
Advocate III

Hi, I am also having this issue...

Any news when this could be fixed?

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@prokurors

Product team is working on it.

Best Regards,
Herbert

jwiress
Regular Visitor

We have same problem with external customers not being able to access Dashboards which they had access to recently despite Pro upgrades.

Can we get a timescale for the fix so that we can manage our customers expectations (or find alternate solution)

PaulVersteven
Regular Visitor

I also have the problem. Around 80 external users are stuck now, since June 1rst. No smile on my face as I don't really look really professional!

Here is maybe a clue:

I read in a French Power BI page (https://powerbi.microsoft.com/fr-fr/documentation/powerbi-service-share-unshare-dashboard/) something that is not mentioned in the English version of this page. It says:

"Remarque : Vous ne pouvez pas partager des tableaux de bord qui contiennent du contenu Power BI Pro avec des utilisateurs externes qui ont une licence d’essai de Power BI Pro. Ces derniers ont besoin de licences Power BI Pro classiques pour accéder à ces tableaux de bord."

In English: "You can't share dashboards having Power BI Pro content with external users having a Power BI Pro trial license. They need classical Power BI Pro licenses to access to these dashboards."

Isn't sharing functionality part of Power BI Pro content now? It's the snake that bites its own tail!

Joe
Advocate II
Advocate II

You are right Paul. I made one of our clients change from pro trial to Classical pro and they are able to view the dasboard.  

prokurors
Advocate III

@Joe @PaulVersteven what do you mean "change from pro trial to classical pro"? Does this mean that they must buy a pro licence and can not use pro-trial? Then what is the purpose for the pro-trial if it's not usable??