Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Change column labels/names in the visual: not appearing for SSAS Tabular hierarchies

In the July release we got the option to rename fields per visual (which is really great!!) :

However, when using a SSAS Tabular live connection, the rename option doesn't appear when the field is a in a hierarchy:

Comments
v-haibl-msft
Employee

@fbeekvel

I can repro the same issue as you. I’ve reported it internally to Power BI Team: CRI 42023525
I’ll post here once I get any update about it.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Accepted

fbeekvel
Frequent Visitor

great! Smiley Happy

v-haibl-msft
Employee

@fbeekvel

I’ve got response from the Product Team.

By design, we do not support rename for hierarchies.

Best Regards,
Herbert

Vicky_Song
Impactful Individual
Status changed to: Delivered

fbeekvel
Frequent Visitor

Hi Herbert,

I hope this issue doesn't fall off the radar now that it has been closed.

Are you sure the team understood you correctly? I'm not saying I want to rename the hierarchy, just the columnname. Just because it happens to be in a hierarchy shouldn't mean we can't rename it imho.

If it's really "by design" than I would love to know why it was designed that way 🙂

And whether it's on the roadmap to be implemented at a future date.

Debbie
Helper I

I'd like this too. I can rename the column if I use it in isolation. But not if I use it in a hierarchy - which means mmy column headers in my drill are meaningless

Anonymous
Not applicable

It seems that this works as intend because hiearchies works still, after 2 years, at the same way as descriped. This means that I have to create year column/measure to my dataset and can't use date hierarchy because Year is not good enough header (another possibility is use titles instead of headers but then I need to change it into every visuals because headers and titles looks different). This functionality should be changed in some way.

SorrowsofGoethe
Frequent Visitor

It seems like an odd "design" constraint. Renaming Date Hierarchies from something like Quarter to Qtr can make a difference when you're working with limited space on the screen. So many of the design choices by the Product Team don't make sense, like putting a minimum font size limit of 8, when there are other products out there that let you do that. Being able to rename the Date Hierarchy seems like another basic limitation without any purpose.