Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Cant open pbix because of Ehnanced metada format

After upgrading to 2020 September version I cannot open any of my old pbix files.
The error shown is "sequence contains no matching element".
I remember that I had the same problem earlier, when "enhanced-metadata-format" feature was in preview. At that time I turned off that preview and everythinf was OK. 

However in the latest PowerBI there is no possibility to switch that new format off, so I am stuck with unusable files.
I found earlier Install (downloaded on 2020-07-29) and this version opened all files successfully. If I turn on "enhanced-metadata-format" feature in that version - I cannot open files again. So I am sure that the problem is that "enhanced-metadata-format". 

I tried to download a version of report saved earlier in "My workspace" on web PowerBI ("download pbix file") but the result is the same: I cannot open my files in September 2020 version and the same error occurs "sequence contains no matching element"

I tried to save pbix file as template (pbit) and then trying to open it with enabled "enhanced-metadata-format".
No luck: file opens, but refresh is not working ("sequence contains no matching element" errors) and red warning shows up, that "report has not been upgraded to the enhanced metadata format" and I cannot make any changes.

What is the solution to open old files in latest PowerBI version (September 2020) or to convert them to new format?

I cannot imagine remaking all my files and dashboards from scratch in  "new" version.
This is MAJOR design flaw / bug (call it however you want) and this is unacceptable to use in production environment when updates break functionality to total zero.

Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

We had the same issue when this was in preview mode and did not really have a great solution or upgrade path for existing files other than turning the setting off.

With the release of the 2020 update and this feature just being on, I'm starting to get emails from customers that are experiencing the same issue.  I will let you know if we find a resolution.

v-yuta-msft
Community Support

@Alex_N ,

I could not reproduce this issue on my side. Could you please share some part of the trace log? Click "enable tracing" as below:

Capture.PNG 

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

Alex_N
Regular Visitor

Hi, @v-yuta-msft 

This is trace log: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Akp29Xh9mbIGhMAX-LfYPEyZIZYAIA

And below are error details:

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Error Message:
Sequence contains no matching element

Stack Trace:
   at System.Linq.Enumerable.Single[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source, Func`2 predicate)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Modeling.Engine.Loader.PowerQueryToModelSchemaSynchronizer.AddSchemaChangeForModelItemQueryGroup(ModelChange modelChange, ITableInput loadInput, EditModelItemInfo editModelItemInfo)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Modeling.Engine.Loader.PowerQueryToModelSchemaSynchronizer.EditExistingModelItem(ITableInput loadInput, EditModelItemInfo editModelItemInfo, FinalNameResults finalNamesResult, Boolean requireRefresh)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Modeling.Engine.Loader.PowerQueryToModelSchemaSynchronizer.ApplyQuerySchemaToModel(IModelInput modelInput, IExtendedModelChangeScope modelChangeScope, Boolean requireFullDataRefresh)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Modeling.Engine.Upgrade.ModelUpgrader.ChangeDataSourceToMashupExpression(ModelingMashupDocument mashupDocument, ModelingSession modelingSession, ModelingSettings modelingSettings, IExtendedModelChangeScope scope, Boolean isEligibleForMashupConversion)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Modeling.Engine.Upgrade.ModelUpgrader.UpgradeToV3Model(ModelingMashupDocument mashupDocument, ModelingSession modelingSession, ModelingSettings modelingSettings, IExtendedModelChangeScope scope, IEmbeddedValueUpgrader embeddedValueUpgrader)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Modeling.Engine.Upgrade.ModelUpgrader.TryRunV3AndLaterUpgrades(ModelUpgradeResult upgradeResult, ModelingMashupDocument mashupDocument, ModelingSession modelingSession, ModelingSettings modelingSettings, IExtendedModelChangeScope scope, DataModelSnapshot preUpgradeModelSnapshot, IEmbeddedValueUpgrader embeddedValueUpgrader)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Modeling.Engine.Upgrade.ModelUpgrader.<>c__DisplayClass8_0.<UpgradeModel>b__0(IExtendedModelChangeScope scope)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Modeling.Engine.Authoring.AsyncModelAuthoringService.RunOutOfBandExtendedModelChange(Action`1 extendedModelChange, IDataModel dataModel, IModelManager modelManager, Boolean roleChangesImpactQueries, IRefreshPolicyUpdater refreshPolicyUpdater, Boolean skipDataModelTracing)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Modeling.Engine.Upgrade.ModelUpgrader.UpgradeModel(ModelingMashupDocument modelingMashupDocument, ModelingSession modelingSession, ModelingSettings modelingSettings, IRefreshPolicyUpdater refreshPolicyUpdater, IEmbeddedValueUpgrader embeddedValueUpgrader, Boolean roleChangesImpactQueries, String currentProductVersion)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Modeling.Engine.ModelingEngine.<>c__DisplayClass10_0.<UpgradeModel>b__0()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.Hosting.ModelingTelemetryService.<>c__DisplayClass6_0`1.<RunInActivity>b__0()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.Hosting.ModelingTelemetryService.RunInActivity(ModelingActivityKind activity, Action action)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.Hosting.ModelingTelemetryService.RunInActivity[T](ModelingActivityKind activity, Func`1 action)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Modeling.Hosting.ModelingService.UpgradeModel(Report report, IEmbeddedValueUpgrader embeddedValueUpgrader)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.ReportUpgrader.Upgrade(Report report, String fileName, Version pbixFileVersion)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.ReportPreparer.UpgradeModel(Report report, IPowerBIWindowService windowService, String fileName, Version pbixFileVersion)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.ReportPreparer.Prepare(Report report, PackageValidationResult mashupResult, IPowerBIWindowService windowService, String fileName, ILuciaFeatureSwitchProxy luciaFeatureSwitchProxy, Nullable`1 entryPoint, Version pbixFileVersion)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.PowerBIPackagingService.Open(FileStream fileStream, IPowerBIWindowService windowService, Nullable`1 entryPoint, PowerBIPackageOpenOptions options, ReportPreparerResult& prepareResult)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.FileManager.<LoadFromPbix>d__20.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.UIBlockingService.<>c__DisplayClass15_0`1.<<BlockUIAndRun>b__0>d.MoveNext()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
   at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.UIBlockingService.WaitOnUIThreadForTaskCompletion(Task task)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.UIBlockingService.BlockUIAndRun[T](Func`1 asyncMethod)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.FileManager.OpenFile(IPowerBIWindowService windowService, IPbixFile fileToOpen, Nullable`1 entryPoint)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.FileOperationUIHandler.OpenFileInternal(IPowerBIWindowService windowService, IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, IQueryServices queryServices, IOpenSaveUI openSaveUI, TelemetryUserActionId entryPoint, IPbixFile pbixFile, Boolean fromRecentFile)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Services.FileOperationUIHandler.OpenLocalFile(IPowerBIWindowService windowService, IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, IQueryServices queryServices, TelemetryUserActionId entryPoint, String filePath, Boolean fromRecentFile)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.FileCommands.OpenFileLocal(IPowerBIWindowService windowService, IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, OpenFileCommandParameter openParameters)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

Stack Trace Message:
Sequence contains no matching element

Invocation Stack Trace:
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionExtensions.GetCurrentInvocationStackTrace()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.StackTraceInfo..ctor(String exceptionStackTrace, String invocationStackTrace, String exceptionMessage)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.GetStackTraceInfo(Exception e)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Telemetry.PowerBIUserFeedbackServices.ReportException(IWindowHandle activeWindow, IUIHost uiHost, FeedbackPackageInfo feedbackPackageInfo, Exception e, Boolean useGDICapture)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.<>c__DisplayClass14_0.<HandleException>b__0()
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.UnexpectedExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Utilities.UIBlockingAwareExceptionHandler.HandleException(Exception e)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)
   at Microsoft.Practices.Prism.Commands.DelegateCommandBase.<>c__DisplayClass4_0.<.ctor>b__0(Object arg)
   at Microsoft.Practices.Prism.Commands.DelegateCommandBase.<Execute>d__10.MoveNext()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncTaskMethodBuilder.Start[TStateMachine](TStateMachine& stateMachine)
   at Microsoft.Practices.Prism.Commands.DelegateCommandBase.Execute(Object parameter)
   at Microsoft.Practices.Prism.Commands.DelegateCommand`1.<Execute>d__5.MoveNext()
   at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncTaskMethodBuilder.Start[TStateMachine](TStateMachine& stateMachine)
   at Microsoft.Practices.Prism.Commands.DelegateCommand`1.Execute(T parameter)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Commands.CompositeCommand`1.Execute(ICommand command, Object parameter)
   at Microsoft.Practices.Prism.Commands.CompositeCommand.Execute(Object parameter)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Commands.CompositeCommand`1.Execute(T parameter)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.FileMenuHostSevice.<>c__DisplayClass17_0.<OpenRecentFile>b__0()
   at System.RuntimeMethodHandle.InvokeMethod(Object target, Object[] arguments, Signature sig, Boolean constructor)
   at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.UnsafeInvokeInternal(Object obj, Object[] parameters, Object[] arguments)
   at System.Delegate.DynamicInvokeImpl(Object[] args)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackDo(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbackHelper(Object obj)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallback(ThreadMethodEntry tme)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.InvokeMarshaledCallbacks()
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
   at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
   at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Form.ShowDialog(IWin32Window owner)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.WebDialogs.WebDialog.<>n__0(IWindowHandle owner)
   at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.WindowManager.ShowModal[T](T dialog, Func`1 showModalFunction)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.<>c__DisplayClass1_0.<Main>b__1()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<>c__DisplayClass3_0.<HandleExceptionsWithNestedTasks>b__0()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Program.Main(String[] args)

PowerBINonFatalError:
{"AppName":"PBIDesktop","AppVersion":"2.83.5894.881","ModuleName":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Modeling.Engine.dll","Component":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Modeling.Engine.Loader.PowerQueryToModelSchemaSynchronizer","Error":"System.InvalidOperationException","MethodDef":"AddSchemaChangeForModelItemQueryGroup","ErrorOffset":"0"}

Snapshot Trace Logs:
C:\Users\Aleksandras\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\FrownSnapShot36957113.zip

Model Default Mode:
Empty

Model Version:
PowerBI_V1

Is Report V3 Models Enabled:
True

Performance Trace Logs:
C:\Users\Aleksandras\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\PerformanceTraces.zip

Enabled Preview Features:
PBI_NewWebTableInference
PBI_v3ModelsPreview

Disabled Preview Features:
PBI_shapeMapVisualEnabled
PBI_SpanishLinguisticsEnabled
PBI_qnaLiveConnect
PBI_inlineExplore
PBI_dataSearchCuration
PBI_azureMapVisual

Disabled DirectQuery Options:
TreatHanaAsRelationalSource

Cloud:
GlobalCloud

Formulas:

section Section1;
Alex_N
Regular Visitor

I don't understand why, but my reply keeps disappearing:
Log file is here:  https://1drv.ms/u/s!Akp29Xh9mbIGhMAX-LfYPEyZIZYAIA
@v-yuta-msft 

megank
Power BI Team

@Alex_N Can you share the traces from the latest September release? If you're able to share the pbix that may help speed up our investigation also. Feel free to DM me your files if you're still facing issues posting.

megank
Power BI Team

Hi @Alex_N, thanks for working with me on this issue, and I'm glad to hear the fix in the new version is working for you (2.85.985.0). 

For others that might come across this thread, please make sure you're using the latest version of Power BI Desktop.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I updated to the newest release (yesterday's) and that did solve the problem for us as well.

Jeremy