Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Cant open PowerBI Desktop after update from Aug. 2021 to Feb. 2022 (stuck at start up screen)

Hi all,

I have an issue with opening PowerBI after updating my August 2021 version to February 2022.

After installing the new update whenever I try to start PowerBI I get stuck at the start up screen (see below).

There is no error message and regardless how long I wait PowerBI doesnt seem to proceed further.

I tried to uninstall and reinstall PowerBI, tried both version of the installer (x64 and standard) but this doesnt seem to help me.

My System is Win10.

Did somebody had the same problem and know a solution for this issue?

StartUp.PNG

Hi @Nick_T  and @Tachnician ,

May I know whether you get this issue when you are trying to open a specific report or directly start up Power BI Desktop by its shortcut? Did you enable Power BI Desktop infrastructure update in Options(File>Options and Settings>Options>Preview features)?

Please check the folder containing the Desktop traces to see whether you can find any error message that can help you troubleshot this issue.

• If you are using Desktop msi, please check in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\Traces
  • If you are using Desktop from the Store, please check in %USERPROFILE%\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop Store App\Traces

Best Regards,

Community Support Team _ Caiyun

Comments
Tachnician
Regular Visitor

I'm having the same issue here after updating November 2021 version to Feburary 2022. Please investigate.

v-cazheng-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @Nick_T  and @Tachnician ,

May I know whether you get this issue when you are trying to open a specific report or directly start up Power BI Desktop by its shortcut? Did you enable Power BI Desktop infrastructure update in Options(File>Options and Settings>Options>Preview features)?

Please check the folder containing the Desktop traces to see whether you can find any error message that can help you troubleshot this issue.

• If you are using Desktop msi, please check in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\Traces
  • If you are using Desktop from the Store, please check in %USERPROFILE%\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop Store App\Traces

Best Regards,

Nick_T
Regular Visitor

Hi,

Thank you for the quick reply.

I get the issue regardless if I try to directly start up Power BI Desktop via the shortcut or try to open a specific report. 

In the folder you described, %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Power BI Desktop\Traces, I got only a folder "performance", which has some empty files in it (see screenshot).

I did not enable "Power BI Desktop infrastructure update" by myself, so I guess the software is in its default state. But I cant check now because I cant open the program anymore.

Traces.PNG

v-cazheng-msft
Community Support

Hi @Nick_T ,

Thanks for your reply! I understand. Please consider creating a support ticket in Power BI Support if you are a Pro user. Then, there will be a support engineer to have a remote session with you to help you troubleshoot on this issue.

It couldn’t be better if you post the root cause and solution here after you get them from the engineer to help others who may encounter similar issue . Thanks in advance! 😃

The link of Power BI Support: Support | Microsoft Power BI

For how to create a support ticket, please refer to How to create a support ticket in Power BI - Microsoft Power BI Community

Best Regards,

AgeraAndrei
Frequent Visitor

Hi all, also for me a similar issue, after opening Power BI desktop, in a few minutes the app sopped working and i received the following message :"Microsoft Power BI Desktop has stopped working. A problem coused the program to stop working correctlly. Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available ".

For me, this is happening starting from the vervion Nevember 2021 until February 2022.

Thanks,

Adi

Nick_T
Regular Visitor

I created a support ticket. If we establish a solution for this problem, I will post it here.

Reb
Regular Visitor

I am having same issue. Watching for support solution.

v-cazheng-msft
Community Support

To resolve issue related to start the Microsoft Store version of Power BI Desktop or WebView2, there is an official document as reference. Hope it can help users may encounter similar issue.

Link of official document:

Resolve issues when starting Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Resolve issues when starting Power BI Desktop - Power BI | Microsoft Docs

Best Regards,

Nick_T
Regular Visitor

Ok so two co-workers tried to install the Feburary 2022 Version but got the same issue I had (they didn't update their version but installed it for the first time fresh). I got in contact with the PowerBI support and we came up with the following solution:

February 2022 - is NOT working - I get no error but the program will stay at the start up screen and dont proceed further

December 2021 - is NOT working - I can proceed after the start up screen but will I get a Web2view Error when the program opens

November 2021 - is WORKING for me.

My advice would be for all who have a similiar issue to use the November 2021 Version and wait if the next PowerBI Version will remove this issue.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/fundamentals/desktop-latest-update-archive?tabs=powerbi-de...

Tachnician
Regular Visitor

Hi,

My issue has been solved by starting up Power BI Desktop with [Open], rather than using [Run as administrator]. I had to run as admin bceause it was one of my company's security requirements, but for the lastest Feb version, I could not run as admin.