I just spent the past hour rebuilding the dashbaord and re-uploading it under a new name, which while unacceptable to my customer, is better than nothing. Unfortunately, after the initial publish, when I went to update, I got the EXACT SAME ERROR.
Is there some outage? Are updates not allowed for apps with an H in the name? What the heck is going on?
I have the same issue today too
A little clarification onmy confusion.
It is only this app, and the rebuilds of this specific app which are having this problem. The problem is specific to updates, not initial publishing (at elast of the rebuilds) and sometimes takes everal updates for the problem to occur. Once the problem occurs it is consistant and every update.
Same here yesterday I was able to update the app. But today no go. I am able to also update my other app quite well with no problems.
We're also having an issue while trying to update one of our apps. The rest seem to update fine. I've also noticed that the "Included in App" feature was removed when yesterday it was there. Something strange seems to be going on.
Same issue here, I cannot update any published apps
Same here and noticed the Included in App button that disappeared, which was used to control what report or dashboard items were going to the App. This happened last night 01/17/18 EST.
Placed a ticket with PBI today and no solution yet.
The same issue already reported before internally: CRI 57129326. The issue should be fixed now. Please test again in your environment.
Best Regards,Qiuyun Yu
I can confirm this is resolved for me.