Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Cannot refresh data when using function in incremental refresh

The data source is SharePoint Online

I have a dataset that I want to have incremental refresh enabled on it.

I follow the guide using the https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-premium-incremental-refresh documentation.

Due to the date format in my source table is not a standard date/time format, I have to convert it using the function. I follow the tip as in the link above. So I create a function and call it the filter step to convert the RangeStart and RangeEnd to match the format as in the source table. I have set the incremental refresh and publish to Power BI service with no problem. But when I want to refresh the dataset, I got the error as below saying that it does not recognize my function. When I disabled the incremental refresh, the dataset is able to refresh. So I guess this has something to do with incremental refresh features where it does not recognize my function in Power BI desktop.

Untitled.png

Comments
jason81
Frequent Visitor

Untitled.png

The function was created as suggested from the https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/service-premium-incremental-refresh documentation.

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @jason81,

I'm not able to reproduce the issue on my side. How does your Power Query look like? 

In my test, if we define the Power Query and query parameters like below, after publishing the report to Power BI service, it's able to select the gateway to configure schedule refresh. 

q5.PNG

q3.PNGq4.PNG

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu 

jason81
Frequent Visitor

Hi Qiuyng,

Thank you for your reply.

Please refer to my pic.

1. The script calls a function. The function was suggested by Power BI site.

3. The workbook works fine on my Power BI desktop but Power BI server. The error occurs during refresh.

Untitled.pngUntitled1.pngUntitled2.png

jason81
Frequent Visitor

Hi Qiuyng,

I try your method and it works.

I am still wondering why we cannot separate the custom function as another query.

(The desktop version works fine but Power BI Service.)

Anyway, thank you very much for your reply.

BRs,

Jason

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @jason81,

Please share your issued pbix file with us. You can upload it to your OneDrive and share the link here or send it to me via private message. 

Best Regards,

Qiuyun Yu 

jason81
Frequent Visitor

Hi Qiuyun Yu,

I would like to correct my reply 6 hours ago.

I keep getting the same error when trying to refresh on Power BI Service.

I will email you my workbook.

Untitled.png

jason81
Frequent Visitor

Hi Qiuyun Yu,

The issue only happens when data source at "SharePoint".

I could refresh my data successfully when using a local data source with my personal gateway.

Thank you!

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @jason81,

I would suggest you create a support ticket to Microsoft to get dedicated support. 

Support Ticket.gif

Best Regards,
Qiuyun Yu

v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Delivered

jason81
Frequent Visitor

Hi Qiuyun Yu,

Will do so and thank you for your support!

BRs,

Jason