Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Cannot publish report : We cannot convert the value "" to type Record

I have several datasets (datamodel only pbix reports) that I can no longer update by publishing from Power BI Desktop. I get the error :  "We cannot convert the value "" to type Record". This does not affect all datasets, though I have not yet been able to determine what is causing the issue. Refreshing the datasets in Power BI Desktop is OK. Surprisingly, attempts to republish the same report to a different workspace returns the same error. Another finding: when I attempt to use Tabular editor to connect to the dataset in the Power BI Service, I also get this same error (was OK a week ago). Reverting to the May version of Power BI Desktop does not resolve the pb either.

I am stuck !

---------------------------
DataGridView Default Error Dialog
The following exception occurred in the DataGridView:

System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Property accessor 'CompatibilityLevel' on object 'Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Tabular.Database' threw the following exception:'COM error: Microsoft.MashupEngine, [Expression.Error] We cannot convert the value "" to type Record..

Technical Details:
RootActivityId: d3cc70a8-0cdf-4e07-9de1-df5f3a25898d
Date (UTC): 7/1/2020 8:51:01 AM
' ---> Microsoft.AnalysisServices.OperationException: COM error: Microsoft.MashupEngine, [Expression.Error] We cannot convert the value "" to type Record..

Technical Details:
RootActivityId: d3cc70a8-0cdf-4e07-9de1-df5f3a25898d
Date (UTC): 7/1/2020 8:51:01 AM

at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.XmlaClient.CheckForSoapFault(XmlReader reader, XmlaResult xmlaResult, Boolean throwIfError)
at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.XmlaClient.CheckForError(XmlReader reader, XmlaResult xmlaResult, Boolean throwIfError)
at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.XmlaClient.SendMessage(Boolean endReceivalIfException, Boolean readSession, Boolean readNamespaceCompatibility)
at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Core.AnalysisServicesClient.Discover(IMajorObject obj, ObjectExpansion expansion, JaXmlSerializer serializer)
at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Core.Server.Refresh(IMajorObject obj, ObjectExpansion expansion)
at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Core.Server.SendRefresh(IMajorObject obj, ObjectExpansion expansion)
at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.MajorObject.Refresh()
at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.MajorObject.get_Body()
at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.Core.Database.get_CompatibilityLevel()
--- End of inner exception stack trace ---
at System.ComponentModel.ReflectPropertyDescriptor.GetValue(Object component)
at System.Windows.Forms.DataGridView.DataGridViewDataConnection.GetValue(Int32 boundColumnIndex, Int32 columnIndex, Int32 rowIndex)

To replace this default dialog please handle the DataError event.
OK

Comments
v-yuta-msft
Community Support

@bdarbonneau ,

I'm not able to reproduce this issue on my side. Please check if the data source has been modified. For example, check if there's any null value or unprintable value in data source. If the data source is ok this issue still persists, I would suggest you create a support ticket here for further analysis.

Regards,

Jimmy Tao