cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot process Azure Analysis Services model with connection to on-prem SQL Server database

I have installed the On-premises Data gateway in an Azure VM with SQL Server 2017 (developer edition).

I deployed an Azure Analysis Services model with a connection to the SQL Server in that VM - it is an In-memory model (no DirectQuery).

I used SQL Authentication for the connection.

The data source connection in the AAS model uses SQL Server Native Client as data provider.

When I try to process the AAS database (from SSMS), I always get an error:

Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'An error occurred during On-Premise Gateway related activity. Additional error details: DM_GWPipeline_UnknownError
Received error payload from gateway service with ID 2335465: Async operation a2b4b30a-03a8-41dc-9efb-1522aed97d24 is faulted with [0]Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.Diagnostics.GatewayPipelineWrapperException: Substituted: NullReferenceException:<pi>System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayCore.OleDbProcessor.<>c__DisplayClass4_0.<ExecuteOleDbQuery>b__0()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayPipelineTelemetry.PipelineTelemetryService.ExecuteInActivity[T](PipelineActivityType pipelineActivityType, Func`1 action)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayCore.GatewayProcessorDispatcher.<DispatchImpl>d__1.MoveNext()

My tests showed, that the processing is working, when I use the .NET data provider for SQL Server in my data source connection!

Documentation says, that SQL Native Client is supported:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/analysis-services/analysis-services-datasource

but it doesn't work!

Comments
Super Contributor

Hi @helmutT ,

This is a problem more related to Azure Analysis Services, please post your question on Azure Community to get professional advice.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

Visitor

Hi @v-yulgu-msft ,

thank you for your response.

I will post it in the Azure Community forum.

I thought, that this is more an issue in the on-prem Data Gateway - not able to handle the SQL Native Client connection. Therefore I posted it here.

Best regards,

Helmut