Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Cannot process Azure Analysis Services model with connection to on-prem SQL Server database

I have installed the On-premises Data gateway in an Azure VM with SQL Server 2017 (developer edition).

I deployed an Azure Analysis Services model with a connection to the SQL Server in that VM - it is an In-memory model (no DirectQuery).

I used SQL Authentication for the connection.

The data source connection in the AAS model uses SQL Server Native Client as data provider.

When I try to process the AAS database (from SSMS), I always get an error:

Failed to save modifications to the server. Error returned: 'An error occurred during On-Premise Gateway related activity. Additional error details: DM_GWPipeline_UnknownError
Received error payload from gateway service with ID 2335465: Async operation a2b4b30a-03a8-41dc-9efb-1522aed97d24 is faulted with [0]Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.Diagnostics.GatewayPipelineWrapperException: Substituted: NullReferenceException:<pi>System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayCore.OleDbProcessor.<>c__DisplayClass4_0.<ExecuteOleDbQuery>b__0()
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayPipelineTelemetry.PipelineTelemetryService.ExecuteInActivity[T](PipelineActivityType pipelineActivityType, Func`1 action)
   at Microsoft.PowerBI.DataMovement.Pipeline.GatewayCore.GatewayProcessorDispatcher.<DispatchImpl>d__1.MoveNext()

My tests showed, that the processing is working, when I use the .NET data provider for SQL Server in my data source connection!

Documentation says, that SQL Native Client is supported:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/analysis-services/analysis-services-datasource

but it doesn't work!

Comments
v-yulgu-msft
Employee

Hi @helmutT ,

This is a problem more related to Azure Analysis Services, please post your question on Azure Community to get professional advice.

Best regards,

Yuliana Gu

helmutT
Regular Visitor

Hi @v-yulgu-msft ,

thank you for your response.

I will post it in the Azure Community forum.

I thought, that this is more an issue in the on-prem Data Gateway - not able to handle the SQL Native Client connection. Therefore I posted it here.

Best regards,

Helmut