Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Cannot open .pbix file because of measure error

Power BI Desktop file was working fine yesterday and was able to save it at the end of the day. There were several measures with errors as they were recreated as new ones, but this didn't cause any issues opening the file for several days.

Since this morning however I am getting the error below and cannot open the file:

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Error Message:
<pi>MdxScript(Model) (170, 104) Function 'SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR' expects a contiguous selection when the date column comes from a table on the 1-side of a bi-directional relationship.

I know how to fix the SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR issue, but my issue is that I cannot open the file. The file should still open even if there are errors in some measures. 

Hi @Anonymous ,

When you say you can't open the PBIX file, do you mean that you can't open the report itself or that Power BI Desktop doesn't even start properly?
Have you tried clearing the Power BI Desktop cache and retrying?

1.In Power BI Desktop, Go to File menu and select Options and Settings > Option
2.Click on Data Load Button.
3.Next click on " Clear Cache " button under both " Data Cache Management Options " and " Q&A Cache Options ". Press OK.
4.Once cleared both caches, make sure the "Currently used" value is 0 bytes like the below screenshot.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

Comments
v-xiaoyan-msft
Community Support
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi @Anonymous ,

When you say you can't open the PBIX file, do you mean that you can't open the report itself or that Power BI Desktop doesn't even start properly?
Have you tried clearing the Power BI Desktop cache and retrying?

1.In Power BI Desktop, Go to File menu and select Options and Settings > Option
2.Click on Data Load Button.
3.Next click on " Clear Cache " button under both " Data Cache Management Options " and " Q&A Cache Options ". Press OK.
4.Once cleared both caches, make sure the "Currently used" value is 0 bytes like the below screenshot.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Caitlyn

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Caitlyn,

When I try to open the desktop file an error pops up with a "Something went wrong" heading. From here I can only Cancel on Report this issue. When I click Cancel it exits and the file doesn't open.

I cleared the cache, but no difference.

What is frustrating is that I am able to load the desktop file to the PowerBI Service and I can see all my changes and measures, but I cannot open a measure to edit or add measures. 

Emile