Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn the coveted Fabric Analytics Engineer certification. 100% off your exam for a limited time only!

Cannot open folders with JSON files in new PBIX files. Older PBIX files are not affected

Until a week ago, I was able to open folders with multiple JSON files with no issues. In the last week, I'm encountering this error:

Capture.PNG

Unable to cast object type 'Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Formulas.BinaryParameterFormula' to type 'Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.Formulas.BinaryContentFormula'

But this only happens with new PBIX files trying to read from the folder of JSON files. Copying and Pasting and opening old PBIX files more than a week old do not fail opening the same JSON files. 

I downloaded fresh JSON files (to ensure the JSON file content order is consistent for all files in the folders) but the error continues to prevent loading of JSONs in the folders into PBIX. 

I updated to today's November 12 version of the Power BI Desktop and the issue persists. 

I can click on an individual JSON file and open it correctly, just not using the Open Folder Get Data option. 

Any ideas?

Here's the error content: 

______________________________________________________________________________________

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Timestamp:
2020-11-13T01:31:36.5750267Z

Local Time:
2020-11-12T20:31:36.5750267-05:00

Session ID:
5e8f165f-18f7-49c8-94de-6d9c046c218d

Release:
November 2020

Product Version:
2.87.684.0 (20.11) (x64)

Stack Trace:
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.JsonTableLearning.JsonTableLearningService.TryLearn(String input, BaseCompositeSourceFormula sourceFormula, String& mQuery, Int32& columnCount, Int32& rowCount, TimeSpan& learnTime, Boolean& isJsonLines)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.DataImporter.TryLearnJsonTable(SourceFormula sourceFormula, Query query, String& formulaText, Int32& rowCount)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.DataImporter.OnGetPreviewResult(PreviewResult preview, Query query, String sourceID, String formulaTitle, Nullable`1 explicitImportDestination, Boolean isNewQuery, Boolean isFromEditor)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.DataImporter.GetPreviewResult(Query query, String sourceID, String formulaTitle, Boolean isNewQuery, Boolean isFromEditor, Nullable`1 explicitImportDestination)
at Microsoft.Mashup.Client.UI.Shared.DataImporter.<>c__DisplayClass86_1.<OnQuerySettingsResolved>b__0()
at Microsoft.Mashup.Host.Document.ExceptionHandlerExtensions.HandleExceptions(IExceptionHandler exceptionHandler, Action action)

PowerBINonFatalError:
{"AppName":"PBIDesktop","AppVersion":"2.87.684.0","ModuleName":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.dll","Component":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.JsonTableLearning.JsonTableLearningService","Error":"System.InvalidCastException","MethodDef":"TryLearn","ErrorOffset":"157"}

OS Version:
Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.17134.0 (x64 en-US)

CLR Version:
4.7 or later [Release Number = 461808]

Peak Virtual Memory:
38.5 GB

Private Memory:
731 MB

Peak Working Set:
948 MB

IE Version:

User ID:
b90f1a06-f4e0-4c2f-b583-89750f1ac5a5

Workbook Package Info:
1* - en-US, Query Groups: 0, fastCombine: Enabled, runBackgroundAnalysis: True.

Telemetry Enabled:
True

Model Default Mode:
Import

Model Version:
PowerBI_V3

Is Report V3 Models Enabled:
True

Enabled Preview Features:
PBI_shapeMapVisualEnabled
PBI_JsonTableInference
PBI_NewWebTableInference
PBI_ImportTextByExample
PBI_ExcelTableInference
PBI_v3ModelsPreview
PBI_azureMapVisual
PBI_dataPointLassoSelect
PBI_narrativeTextBox
PBI_dynamicParameters

Disabled Preview Features:
PBI_SpanishLinguisticsEnabled
PBI_qnaLiveConnect
PBI_anomalyDetection
PBI_newFieldList

Disabled DirectQuery Options:
TreatHanaAsRelationalSource

Cloud:
GlobalCloud

DPI Scale:
125%

Supported Services:
Power BI

Comments
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support

@CGlembocki 

I tried the latest version but cannot reproduce the issue. You may directly create a support ticket for assistance if necessary.

CGlembocki
Frequent Visitor

@v-chuncz-msft 

Thank you for checking. 

My assumption that the JSON files were the same must have been incorrect. 

I tried a different approach based on this post: 

https://blog.pragmaticworks.com/power-bi-problem-design-solution-folder-source-option-for-json-files 

Instead of directly opening the folder of JSON files, opened a first sample JSON file, converted that query to a function, imported the file names of the folder, and opened each JSON separately. 

All is good.