Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Cannot open Power BI Report Server in SSMS

Hello,

I am running SQL Server 2016 SP1 CU3 (13.0.4435.0). On Windows Server 2016 Build 14393.1715. I have also installed MS Power BI Report Server Version 2.46.4732.722. Power BI Report Server is a solution that customers deploy on their own premises for creating, publishing, and managing reports, then delivering them to the right users in different ways, whether that's viewing them in web browser, on their mobile device, or as an email in their in-box.

Power BI Report Server is configured the same way as SQL Report Server in the Report Server Configuration Manager. I have configured it and it is working and the reports are accessible from the URL.

I need to make a change to the Power BI Report Server properties. In SSMS I go to connect to Reporting Services. I browse and choose the Report Server instance: MyServer\PowerBIReportServer

I then get the message: "Cannot connect to MyServer\PowerBIReportServer. Additional information: The Reporting Services instance could not be found."

Any advice on how to resolve the issue would be appreciated. Thanks.

Comments
v-qiuyu-msft
Community Support

Hi @LorenzAB,

In SSMS, please try to use the report server URL to see if you can connect to the Reporting Services in SSMS.

e2.PNG

Best Regards,

Qiuyun Yu

LorenzAB

Hi Qiuyun. That worked. I copied the Report Server web URL and then went to Registered Servers. I right-clicked on "Local Server Groups" and chose "new server registration. I entered the Report Server web URL and was able to connect. Thanks for your help.