Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Cannot open Power BI Desktop

Hi,

I recently did a clean install of Windows 10 and tried to reinstall Power BI Desktop through the Microsoft Store. The installations appears to have completed successfully, howefver every time I tried to open Power BI (even as Administrator), it crashes with the following error:

Feedback Type:
Frown (Error)

Timestamp:
2020-12-01T06:34:44.1443353Z

Local Time:
2020-12-01T14:34:44.1443353+08:00

Session ID:
0e894437-7b4e-4b00-ae86-ca0430c98c88

Release:
November 2020

Product Version:
2.87.1061.0 (20.11) (x64)

Stack Trace:
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesProcess.AcquireServerDynamicPortInfo()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesProcess.EnsureServiceIsReady()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesProcess.Start()
at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()
--- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
at System.Runtime.ExceptionServices.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesService.<StartProcess>d__22.MoveNext()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.Utilities.TaskExtensions.WaitAndUnpackException(Task task)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesService.CreateEmptyDatabase()
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesService.<StartProcess>d__22.MoveNext()
at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.TaskAwaiter.HandleNonSuccessAndDebuggerNotification(Task task)
at Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.IExceptionHandlerExtensions.<HandleAwaitableAsyncExceptions>d__1.MoveNext()

PowerBINonFatalError:
{"AppName":"PBIDesktop","AppVersion":"2.87.1061.0","ModuleName":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.dll","Component":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesProcess","Error":"Microsoft.PowerBI.Client.Windows.AnalysisServices.AnalysisServicesProcessUnexpectedExitException","MethodDef":"AcquireServerDynamicPortInfo","ErrorOffset":"113"}

OS Version:
Microsoft Windows NT 10.0.18363.0 (x64 en-GB)

CLR Version:
4.7 or later [Release Number = 528040]

Peak Virtual Memory:
37.8 GB

Private Memory:
219 MB

Peak Working Set:
389 MB

IE Version:

User ID:
89bd63c8-99f0-4c34-bae3-807fe1e5f31a

Workbook Package Info:
None

Telemetry Enabled:
True

DPI Scale:
200%

Supported Services:
Power BI

I have uninstalled, and reinstalled several times without success. I really need to get logged in to update reporting for a client, and this is a real headache.

Any ideas?

Comments
v-lili6-msft
Community Support

hi  @niirusan 

Based on my test,I cannot reproduce the same issue.

Try to install power bi desktop that downloaded it from the power bi webpage, not from the Microsoft Store.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=58494

If it is not your case, you could try to open a support ticket. If you have a Pro account it is free. Go to https://support.powerbi.com. Scroll down and click "CREATE SUPPORT TICKET".

Regards

Lin